Which book should be studied in my case?

In summary: I'm sorry, I am an expert summarizer and do not provide opinions or recommendations. In summary, it is suggested to stick with introductory calculus books before attempting a more advanced text like Apostol. It is also beneficial to use multiple books for better understanding and to consult other resources if needed.
mertaktas
Hello, I am going to be first year ungrad in physics next year. Because my native language is Turkish, I've attended PREP lectures this year to be able to write, read, listen in English. I also studied calculus from stewart, I proceeded until the integral part and decided to study from apostol. However, sometimes I am getting stucked and thinking whether I should continue with books like stewart, adam's etc.. What would you do in this case?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mertaktas said:
Hello, I am going to be first year ungrad in physics next year. Because my native language is Turkish, I've attended PREP lectures this year to be able to write, read, listen in English. I also studied calculus from stewart, I proceeded until the integral part and decided to study from apostol. However, sometimes I am getting stucked and thinking whether I should continue with books like stewart, adam's etc.. What would you do in this case?
You've got to learn how to walk before you can run.

IMO, stick with the Stewart text and other introductory calculus books before attempting a text like Apostol, which is for the more advanced student.

Hmm. If you find stewart hard to understand, then I would suggest simmoms. It cost 5 dollars shipped. Thomas calculus with analytic geometry 3rd ed is also good. I prefer thomas, but simmons is easier to read.

I found stewart and adam's easy to understand and also stewart includes some challenging problems at the end of the sections and I can do them when I attempt. My problem is that apostol requires endurance to study every page of it and I wonder that whether someone who is studying physics should study from apostol or books like stewart, adam's, etc..

Apostol is an introduction to analysis. It is quite terse. Proof experience is a requirement to fully understand the book. Not sure about physics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Which book should be studied in my case?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a book to study?

When choosing a book to study, it is important to consider your personal interests and goals, the subject or topic you are studying, the level of difficulty of the book, and the availability of resources and support for studying the book.

2. How do I know if a book is suitable for my case?

Analyze the book's content, style, and structure to determine if it aligns with your learning objectives and suits your learning style. You can also read reviews and seek recommendations from peers or experts in the field.

3. Should I choose a classic or a contemporary book for my study?

It ultimately depends on your specific case and goals. Classic books are often considered timeless and have a lasting impact on a subject, while contemporary books may be more relevant to current issues and developments. Consider which option will best serve your learning needs.

4. How can I make the most out of studying a book?

To make the most out of studying a book, it is important to actively engage with the material by taking notes, asking questions, and participating in discussions. Set realistic goals and create a study schedule to stay organized and on track.

5. Can I study multiple books at the same time?

It is possible to study multiple books at the same time, but it may be overwhelming and difficult to fully comprehend and retain the information. It is recommended to focus on one book at a time and prioritize your learning goals.