Which book is best for self-studying special relativity?

In summary, Morin's Introduction to classical mechanics is a modern update of K&K, while Taylor & Wheeler's Spacetime physics is more comprehensive. There are several threads on the best book to read on general relativity, including Schutz' A first course in general relativity, Gourgoulhon's Special Relativity in general frames, and bcrowell's Spacetime cosmology.
Moriarty
So I'm taking AP-C: E&M for my last high school semester and wanted to take some time to read up with a rigorous special relativity book. I've already taken the equivalent of Calculus 1-3 at a university level and I've read Kleppner and Kolenkow's Mechanics book up to the chapters on Special Relativity and Relativistic Dynamics. So hit be up with your recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the first edition of K&K (blue), or the second (red)? Both give out-of-date presentations of SR, but the first edition's is particularly hoary.

Morin, Introduction to classical mechanics, is sort of the modern K&K, and it has a very nice treatment of SR, including an appendix that develops the Lorentz transformation from symmetry principles rather than Einstein's 1905 postulates.

If you want more depth than K&K or Morin, a possibility would be my own SR book, http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ , which is intended for an upper-division course.

bcrowell said:
Do you have the first edition of K&K (blue), or the second (red)? Both give out-of-date presentations of SR, but the first edition's is particularly hoary.

Morin, Introduction to classical mechanics, is sort of the modern K&K, and it has a very nice treatment of SR, including an appendix that develops the Lorentz transformation from symmetry principles rather than Einstein's 1905 postulates.

If you want more depth than K&K or Morin, a possibility would be my own SR book, http://www.lightandmatter.com/sr/ , which is intended for an upper-division course.
Ha, wasn't expecting to get someone who's actually written a book. I'll check out your stuff.

I own the 2013 version of K&K btw.

There are lots of threads like this, so you should check out a few of them. My standard recommendation is that you start with chapters 1-2 of "A first course in general relativity" by Schutz. Another book that gets a lot of recommendations is "Spacetime physics" by Taylor & Wheeler. The most comprehensive introduction in a modern style is "Special Relativity in general frames" by Gourgoulhon.

I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't checked out bcrowell's book, but I know that his forum posts are good, so I don't doubt that the book is good too.

Fredrik said:
There are lots of threads like this, so you should check out a few of them.

I figured, but I'm on my tablet and the App isn't being responsive when I search. Figured one more thread to add to the mix wouldn't hurt.

Related to Which book is best for self-studying special relativity?

1. What is the best book for self-studying Special Relativity (SR)?

The best book for self-studying Special Relativity is subjective and can vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. Some popular options include "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Robert Resnick and "Special Relativity: A First Encounter" by Domenico Giulini.

2. What topics should be covered in a good book for SR self-study?

A good book for SR self-study should cover the fundamentals of Special Relativity, including the postulates, Lorentz transformations, time dilation, length contraction, and relativistic dynamics. It should also cover more advanced topics such as Minkowski spacetime, four-vectors, and relativistic energy and momentum.

3. Are there any recommended supplemental materials to accompany a SR self-study book?

Yes, there are various resources that can supplement a SR self-study book, such as online lectures, problem sets, and practice exams. Some books may also come with accompanying online resources or solutions manuals.

4. What level of mathematical background is needed for self-studying SR?

A basic understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary for self-studying SR. It is also helpful to have a familiarity with concepts in classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, as they will be used in the context of Special Relativity.

5. Can a beginner in physics self-study SR?

Yes, a beginner in physics can self-study SR, but it may require more time and effort to fully comprehend the concepts. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics and mathematical concepts before tackling Special Relativity.