Which are the elements which direcly sublimes

In summary, Arsenic is known to sublime directly when heated and the speaker is curious about which other elements behave similarly throughout the periodic table. It is noted that dry ice, while not an element, is also capable of sublimation. Most substances have a triple point at which they will sublime, including water, oxygen, and nitrogen. Phase diagrams can reveal interesting properties and conditions for obtaining metallic forms of certain elements.
Prins
I know that Arsenic sublimes directly when heated. So I want to know which other elements like this sublimates on heating throughout the periodic table. I also know dry ice.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Prins said:
I know that Arsenic sublimes directly when heated. So I want to know which other elements like this sublimates on heating throughout the periodic table. I also know dry ice.
Dry ice is not an element. Otherwise, all substances can sublimate: it is just a question of pressure.

At ambient pressure, the most well known example is probably iodine. You can see the vapour as it is violet and also observe new crystals forming on colder places of the vial.

Most materials have a point called the triple point below which they're all sublime. Check for phase diagrams of water, oxygen, nitrogen... They're all similar. These diagrams can also reveal weird things like how to obtain hydrogen as metal. Now in the US they have also claimed to have obtained metallic carbon, but this without the condition of excessive pressure.

Related to Which are the elements which direcly sublimes

What is sublimation and what are the elements that can directly sublime?

Sublimation is the process in which a solid directly turns into a gas without passing through the liquid phase. The elements that can directly sublime include iodine, carbon dioxide, and dry ice.

Can any element be sublimed under certain conditions?

Yes, any element can be sublimed under specific conditions such as low pressure and high temperature. For example, sulfur can be sublimed at temperatures above 119 °C and a pressure of 1 atm.

Are there any practical applications of sublimation?

Yes, sublimation has various practical applications in industries such as food preservation, printing, and air conditioning. It is also used in laboratories for purifying substances and creating vacuum conditions.

How does sublimation differ from other phase changes?

Sublimation differs from other phase changes because it involves the direct conversion from solid to gas without passing through the liquid phase. This is different from processes like evaporation and condensation, which involve a change in temperature or pressure.

What factors affect the rate of sublimation?

The rate of sublimation is affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, surface area, and air flow. Higher temperatures and lower pressures can increase the rate of sublimation, while larger surface areas and increased air flow can also speed up the process.