Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

In summary, to create an electric field of <0, 5e4, 0> N/C at location <0, 0, 0>, a proton must be placed at a distance of approximately 1.69707e-7 meters from the origin. The equation used is E = q/r^2, with q being the charge of the proton and r being the distance from the origin. The unit vector, represented as \hat{r}, is equal to r/rmag, where rmag is the magnitude of r. The direction of the electric field from a positive charge is radially outward. It is important to accurately place the proton at the specified coordinates in order to achieve the desired electric field.
cowmoo32

Homework Statement

You want to create an electric field = < 0, 5e4,0 > N/C at location < 0, 0, 0>.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec E = q\hat{r} / 4\pi\varepsilon r^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to treat [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] in the equation. Obviously, I know it's equal to r/rmag, but rmag is what's throwing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
cowmoo32 said:

Homework Statement

You want to create an electric field = < 0, 5e4,0 > N/C at location < 0, 0, 0>.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec E = q\hat{r} / 4\pi\varepsilon r^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to treat [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] in the equation. Obviously, I know it's equal to r/rmag, but rmag is what's throwing me.

An electric field is a vector field. So where you place the proton will determine both the magnitude and the direction of the electric field.

cowmoo32 said:
That's just a unit vector (magnitude = 1) giving the direction of the field. The field from a positive charge is radially outward.

Ok, I thought that unit vector might be 1, so I solve for [tex]r^2[/tex], correct? I tried that and didn't get the right answer.

cowmoo32 said:
Ok, I thought that unit vector might be 1, so I solve for [tex]r^2[/tex], correct? I tried that and didn't get the right answer.

What values did you use?

5e4 = [(1.6e-19)(9e9)] / r^2

I got r = 1.69707e-7

cowmoo32 said:
5e4 = [(1.6e-19)(9e9)] / r^2

I got r = 1.69707e-7

Why do you think this is incorrect?

Because when I submit it online it tells me that's the wrong answer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

cowmoo32 said:
Because when I submit it online it tells me that's the wrong answer. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Is it possible it's your coordinates for placing the proton? They are asking you where you would place the proton to affect this electric field vector at 0,0,0.

Related to Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

1. How can you determine where to place a proton to produce a field at the origin?

To determine where to place a proton to produce a field at the origin, you need to know the magnitude and direction of the field at the origin. This information can be obtained by using the formula for the electric field, which takes into account the distance between the proton and the origin, as well as the charge of the proton.

2. Is there a specific distance from the origin where the proton should be placed to produce the field?

Yes, the distance between the proton and the origin is a crucial factor in determining the magnitude and direction of the electric field. As the distance increases, the strength of the field decreases, so the proton should be placed at a specific distance to produce the desired field at the origin.

3. Can the proton be placed at any angle to produce the field at the origin?

No, the angle at which the proton is placed also affects the electric field. The field will be strongest when the proton is placed directly on the line connecting the proton and the origin, and it will decrease as the angle deviates from this line.

4. How does the charge of the proton impact the field at the origin?

The charge of the proton is a crucial factor in determining the strength of the electric field at the origin. A higher charge will result in a stronger field, while a lower charge will result in a weaker field. The charge also affects the direction of the field, with like charges repelling and opposite charges attracting.

5. Are there any other factors besides distance and charge that affect the field at the origin?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the electric field at the origin, such as the presence of other charged particles in the vicinity and the dielectric constant of the medium. These factors can alter the strength and direction of the field, so they should also be taken into consideration when determining where to place a proton to produce a field at the origin.