Where Should I Begin with Learning Calculus at Home?

In summary, the conversation is about a person's experience with studying calculus on their own and their search for the best resources to use. They mention having books such as Calculus Made Easy by Thompson and Forgotten Calculus Bleau, and are wondering if they should start from the beginning or study other types of math. They also ask for advice on the topic and specifically mention their preference for working on paper rather than using a calculator. The conversation then shifts to discussing the person's thoughts on Thompson's book and their search for other good books on calculus. They mention that Thompson's book is very clear and helpful, especially with the topic of functions. They also mention that they find the book more interesting than others they have read and hope it will work
The_Z_Factor
Im just starting to study calculus at home myself, and I am trying to figure out where to start. I've got a few books, which are Calculus Made Easy by Thompson, and Forgotten Calculus Bleau, under Barron's. Should I start from the very beginning and just go over functions again like back in freshman year or should I study any other types of math? I've never really done calculus so I don't know all that's involved besides functions. Does anybody have any advice to give on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
how do you like thompson?

Well I don't know much at all about calculus but I think this book is what I am looking for. I like doing the work on paper with a pencil...instead of using a computer or a calculator, despite the difficulty difference. I think it makes you think more and get a better grasp on the subject, and this book seems to cover 'traditional' rather than the I guess 'new' way of doing problems. So its good I guess..Do you know of any other good books like Thompsons?

mathwonk said:
how do you like thompson?

And, actually, this book is very clear on what I am trying to figure out. Last year I forgot functions, not knowing that Id be using them later in calculus (and I regret blowing them off like I did), and no books I've read up until now were so clear as these first few pages. I remember everything already. Although, however, Thompson didnt write the functions part, but Gardner did a great job explaining. I am reading it now and its already more interesting than any other book I've read so far, so hopefully this book works out for me.

Related to Where Should I Begin with Learning Calculus at Home?

1. What is the best way to start learning calculus at home?

The best way to start learning calculus at home is to first familiarize yourself with the basics of algebra, trigonometry, and geometry. From there, you can begin with a beginner-level calculus textbook or online course. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and reviewing concepts regularly.

2. How long does it take to learn calculus at home?

The amount of time it takes to learn calculus at home can vary depending on your prior knowledge and level of dedication. On average, it can take 6-12 months to learn calculus at a beginner level.

3. What resources are available for learning calculus at home?

There are many resources available for learning calculus at home, such as textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, practice problems, and study guides. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and pace.

4. Is it possible to learn calculus at home without a teacher?

Yes, it is possible to learn calculus at home without a teacher. However, it is important to have access to resources and support, such as online forums or tutors, to help clarify any confusion or answer any questions that may arise.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning calculus at home?

To stay motivated while learning calculus at home, it is important to set realistic goals and track your progress. It can also be helpful to join online study groups or engage in discussions with others who are also learning calculus. Additionally, taking breaks and rewarding yourself for progress can help maintain motivation.