Where Is Water Pressure Greatest in Water Propulsion Systems?

In summary, the question of where water pressure is greatest in a propulsion system depends on the type of system being used. Different systems will have different points of highest pressure, making it impossible to provide a single answer without more information.
usmarine
water propulsion? whoosh!

I've seen this question written three different ways and each gives three different answers. I'm just not sure how the answer is gotten.

Here is what I see when I see the question...either two straight lines to depict a pipe for water, or a straight line and a line that shows a dip to depict a pipe.

Then, the question goes something like, where is the water pressure the greatest? It turns out, that no matter what I choose, I'm wrong every time I answer the question.

It turns out that there are different ways of describing where water pressure is entering or exiting the pipe so I'm constantly getting the question wrong. Is there some way to identify where, point A (the entrance of the pipe), B (the middle of the pipe), or C (the exit of the pipe) where the most pressure is going to be depending on how the question will be written?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question depends on the type of propulsion system being used. Different types of propulsion systems will produce different levels of pressure at each point. For example, in a jet propulsion system, the pressure would be greatest at point C (the exit of the pipe). However, in a propeller-based system, the pressure would be greatest at point B (the middle of the pipe). Therefore, it is impossible to provide one definitive answer to this question without knowing more information about the type of propulsion system being used.

I can understand your confusion and frustration with the different ways the question is presented. However, the concept of water propulsion remains the same regardless of how the question is written. Water propulsion refers to the use of water as a propelling force, typically in the form of a jet or stream, to move an object or vehicle. This is commonly seen in water sports such as jet skiing or in the propulsion systems of boats and submarines. The pressure of the water being forced out of the pipe or nozzle is what creates the propelling force. So, in terms of the question, the water pressure will be greatest at the point where it is being forced out of the pipe or nozzle, regardless of whether it is at point A, B, or C. The key is to understand the concept behind water propulsion and how it works, rather than getting caught up in the different ways the question is presented.

Related to Where Is Water Pressure Greatest in Water Propulsion Systems?

1. What is water propulsion?

Water propulsion is a method of generating thrust or movement using the force of water. It is often used in marine vehicles such as boats and ships, but can also be utilized in other applications such as water sports and rocket engines.

2. How does water propulsion work?

Water propulsion works by expelling a stream of water in the opposite direction of the desired movement. This creates a force in the forward direction, propelling the object or vehicle forward. The amount of force generated depends on the speed and volume of water expelled.

3. What are the advantages of water propulsion?

Water propulsion has several advantages over other forms of propulsion. It is environmentally friendly as it does not produce harmful emissions, and it is also energy efficient. It also allows for precise control and maneuverability, making it ideal for marine vehicles.

4. What are some examples of water propulsion in use?

Water propulsion is commonly used in boats, ships, and submarines. It is also utilized in jet skis, hydrofoils, and water rockets. In addition, some water sports such as water skiing and wakeboarding also rely on water propulsion.

5. Are there any limitations to water propulsion?

While water propulsion has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is not as efficient in air as it is in water, so it is not suitable for use in aircraft. It also requires a constant supply of water, which may not be readily available in some environments.