Where is pi/4 coming from in the line integral?

In summary: The angle should be ##\pi/4## instead of ##\theta##. I'll fix it.In summary, the conversation discusses a potential mistake in the calculation of a line integral, where the angle used is incorrect and should be ##\pi/4## instead of ##\theta##. The speaker also suggests using cylindrical coordinates for a quarter-circle and Cartesian coordinates for the straight lines.
garylau
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
Sorry

where is pi/4 coming from in the line integral(section 3)?

because i think it should be 1/2=tan(theta) which theta is 26.5651...

it is impossible that the angle is pi/4? where is pi/4 coming from inside the circle?

thank

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I don't know what ##\theta## is. Also this should be posted in the home-work section of these forums. Thus I give only a hint:

I'd only do the quarter circle in cylindrical coordinates. All other parts of the path are very easily done in Cartesian ones. To give more specific hints, I'd need to know the conventions used concerning the angles (are ##\theta## and ##\phi## interchanged compared to the standard choice of spherical coordinates with ##\theta## the polar and ##\phi## the azimuthal angle?).

Likes garylau
vanhees71 said:
Hm, I don't know what ##\theta## is. Also this should be posted in the home-work section of these forums. Thus I give only a hint:

I'd only do the quarter circle in cylindrical coordinates. All other parts of the path are very easily done in Cartesian ones. To give more specific hints, I'd need to know the conventions used concerning the angles (are ##\theta## and ##\phi## interchanged compared to the standard choice of spherical coordinates with ##\theta## the polar and ##\phi## the azimuthal angle?).
in section 3
which is the part of the straight line toward z axis
i think the angle should not be pi/4?

this is spherical coordinate

Ok, I assume that you have the standard definition of spherical coordinates with the ##z## axis as the polar axis, as
$$\begin{pmatrix}x\\y\\z \end{pmatrix}=r \begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \sin \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
Then the straight line parallel to the ##z## axis is at ##\varphi=\pi/2=\text{const}##. Otherwise it's awful to describe in spherical coordinates.
For the quarter-circle it's easy to use spherical coordinates, it's given by ##\vartheta=\pi/2##, ##\varphi \in [0,\pi/2]##, ##r=1##.
For the straight lines I'd use Cartesian coordinates, where they are expressed straight forwardly. It's easy to rewrite the field in terms of Cartesian coordinates. Just note that
$$\hat{r}=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \sin \varphi \sin \vartheta \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}, \quad \hat{\vartheta}=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \varphi \cos \vartheta \\ \sin \varphi \cos \vartheta \\ - \sin \vartheta \end{pmatrix}, \quad \hat{\varphi}=\begin{pmatrix} -\sin \varphi \\ \cos \varphi \\0 \end{pmatrix}.$$

garylau said:
Where is pi/4 coming from in the line integral(section 3)?

because i think it should be 1/2=tan(theta) which theta is 26.5651...
You're right. It's a mistake.

Likes garylau

Related to Where is pi/4 coming from in the line integral?

1. Where does the value of pi/4 come from in a line integral?

The value of pi/4 in a line integral comes from the fact that it represents a quarter of a full rotation in the unit circle. In other words, pi/4 is the angle at which the line integral is being calculated, and it is equal to 45 degrees.

2. How is pi/4 related to the trigonometric functions in a line integral?

Pi/4 is related to the trigonometric functions in a line integral because it is the angle at which the line segment intersects with the unit circle. This angle is used to calculate the values of sine and cosine, which are essential for evaluating line integrals.

3. Why is pi/4 commonly used in line integrals?

Pi/4 is commonly used in line integrals because it corresponds to a simple and symmetric angle in the unit circle. This makes it easier to calculate the values of trigonometric functions and simplifies the overall calculation process.

4. Can I use a different angle instead of pi/4 in a line integral?

Yes, you can use a different angle instead of pi/4 in a line integral. However, pi/4 is the most commonly used angle because of its simplicity and symmetry. Using a different angle may complicate the calculation process and may not yield accurate results.

5. Does the value of pi/4 change in different line integrals?

No, the value of pi/4 does not change in different line integrals. It remains constant at 45 degrees or the quarter of a full rotation in the unit circle. However, the way it is used in the calculation may vary depending on the specific line integral being evaluated.