Where have my edit option gone?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about the edit option being missing for older posts. It is clarified that edits are only possible within 20-24 hours of the original post. However, some users feel that the time limit should be longer or that there should be a limit based on when someone has replied to a post.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Where have my "edit" option gone??

I was going to edit an earlier post by me, but I couldn't find the edit option!
What's happened?

EDIT: It works in this subforum, though..strange.

2.EDIT: It seems I've lost all edit options on posts earlier than today.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Edits are now only possible within 20-24 hours of the original post.

Thanks for the clarification, Evo!

Evo said:
Edits are now only possible within 20-24 hours of the original post.
This seems lika a bad idea to me. In my opinion, the time limit should much longer (if we need a time limit at all). Why not make it, say, 7 days?

The time limit is actually a lot less than 20-24 hours. I can't edit the posting I made about 13 hours ago.

Hmm...it seems it would make more sense to limit editing once someone has replied to a post rather than based on an arbitrary time interval. That way, someone doesn't reply to a post and then return to see that their reply makes no sense because the original content was changed. Keeps people honest that way ;-)

Related to Where have my edit option gone?

1. What happened to the edit option on my document?

The edit option may have disappeared due to a technical issue or a change in the software. It's possible that the feature was removed intentionally or unintentionally.

2. Can I get the edit option back?

It depends on the reason why the edit option is no longer available. If it was removed intentionally, you may need to request for it to be reinstated by the software developer. If it was removed due to a technical issue, it may be fixed in a future update.

3. Is there an alternative way to make edits to my document?

Yes, if the edit option is no longer available, you can try using a different software or program to make changes to your document. You can also try saving a copy of the document and making edits on that version.

4. How can I prevent the edit option from disappearing in the future?

If the edit option was removed due to a technical issue, it's important to keep your software and device up to date. If it was removed intentionally, make sure to communicate with the software developer and express the need for the edit option.

5. What should I do if the edit option is missing on a shared document?

If the edit option is missing on a document that you are collaborating on with others, it's possible that the owner of the document has restricted editing permissions. You can reach out to them and ask for permission to edit the document.