Where does the equation for Gaussian beam divergence come from?

In summary: This approximation ignores the thickness of the medium and focuses on the wavefronts. In this limit, the beam behaves like a Gaussian.
loginorsinup
For a Gaussian beam, which has 86% of its power within its beam diameter (spot size 2w0), I've read that beam (angular) divergence is given by

2θ = 4λ/(π[2w0])

Where does this come from? I hate memorizing equations. It makes me feel stupid.

Physics news on Phys.org
θ is the half-angle divergence for z→∞ so that :

θ=limz→∞ {ω(z)/z} = ω0 / zR = λ/(π.ω0)

with zR = π.ω02 / λ : the Rayleigh range.

Likes loginorsinup
Why is it θ=limz→∞ {ω(z)/z} = ω0 / zR = λ/(π.ω0)?

Why not θ=limz→∞ atan{ω(z)/z} first of all? And second, as z, the distance from the source, goes to infinity, I would expect the beam divergence to be infinitely wide... so... 180 degrees maybe?

GaussianBeamWaist.png

As you can see on the picture above (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_beam#mediaviewer/File:GaussianBeamWaist.svg), θ is the far field divergence. Thus : θ=limz→∞{ω(z)/z} , and it is the theoretical maximum divergence.
And ω(z) = ω0 √(1+z²/ zR2) .
It comes from the resolution of the Helmholtz equation for TEM00 : ∇²E-(1/c²)(∂²E/∂t²) .

Likes loginorsinup
There is no atan because Gaussian beams are implicitly in the paraxial approximation, i.e. small values of theta.

The beam divergence is an angle. As z --> infinity, the beam size becomes infinite, but the divergence converges to the value quoted above.

For small values of z, the beam waist plays a role in the beam size. For large z this contribution is negligible. In the limit z --> infinity you simply forget about the contribution from the waist. The beam size is then given by the divergence times z.

Likes loginorsinup
I understand the approximation that tan(θ) is about θ, but not why Gaussian beams are seen as some kind of paraxial approximation. Gaussian beams are basically intensity versus distance plots that are distributed like a Gaussian. But, I guess that doesn't say anything about which direction anything is in? I'm confused. Could you explain further please? :)

I see, the beam divergence is an angle, so no matter how much you scale it, it still remains that fixed angle. I think I get the intuition based on the last thing you said. The angle is "set" by a triangle you could draw with legs w and z. So there's a constant "slope" to each of those legs. I'm not quite sure why it bows out like that though. Why do the (real) wavefronts do that?

Thanks for the input. Hope this also helps people in the future.

In principle every beam can have a Gaussian profile. The typical Gaussian beam math you find in textbooks and on the web, however, is in the paraxial approximation.

Likes loginorsinup

Related to Where does the equation for Gaussian beam divergence come from?

1. What is beam divergence?

Beam divergence refers to the spreading out of a beam of light or other electromagnetic radiation as it travels through space or a medium. It is typically measured in units of radians or degrees and is an important factor in understanding the behavior and properties of a beam of light.

2. Why is beam divergence important in optics?

Beam divergence is important because it affects the focus and concentration of a beam of light. A smaller beam divergence means the beam will stay more tightly focused over a longer distance, whereas a larger beam divergence will result in a more spread out beam that loses intensity and coherence more quickly over distance.

3. How is beam divergence calculated?

Beam divergence can be calculated using the formula θ = λ / πw, where θ is the angle of divergence, λ is the wavelength of the light, and w is the width of the beam at the point of measurement. This formula is based on the Gaussian beam model, which assumes that the intensity distribution of the beam follows a Gaussian or bell-shaped curve.

4. What factors affect beam divergence?

Beam divergence can be affected by a variety of factors, including the wavelength of the light, the size and shape of the beam, the optical properties of the medium through which the beam is traveling, and any obstructions or distortions in the path of the beam.

5. How can beam divergence be minimized?

Beam divergence can be minimized by using high-quality optical components, such as lenses and mirrors, that are designed to minimize aberrations and distortions in the beam. Additionally, using a smaller beam size and higher quality laser source can also help reduce beam divergence. Proper alignment and calibration of the optical system can also play a role in minimizing beam divergence.