Where does the energy of a destroyed W boson go?

In summary, The W boson is "excreted" in a reaction of the following type: u -> d + W. This reaction is considered exoenergetic since the build up of a radioactive atom needs an external source of energy. The W and Z bosons are often virtual, meaning they require a lot of energy to create and are heavily suppressed in processes involving them. This is why weak interactions are considered "weak" at everyday scales.
Macocio
Hello.

I'm new so I am uncertain to which forum this post should be posted in so I'll just leave this here.

Anyways, I was reading about the four fundamental forces and it came to my mind that the W boson is 80.4 GeV, whilst the two lepton that are excreted upon destruction are 0.511 MeV (Electron) and 2.4 eV (The corresponding neutrino). So where does the 80.3994889976 GeV go when W is destroyed and excretes these two particle? Kinetic Energy?

I also noticed that a W boson excreted by another generation of fermion seems to also cause the boson to excrete another generation of leptons, why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The W boson is "excreted" in a reaction of the following type:

u -> d + W

Is this reaction exoenergetic or endoenergetic?

Macocio said:
the two lepton that are excreted

A friendly linguistic tip: in English we usually say "emitted" or "released" in this context.

"Excrete" is usually used to describe a certain body function that most people do about once per day. :smile:

Dickfore said:
The W boson is "excreted" in a reaction of the following type:

u -> d + W

Is this reaction exoenergetic or endoenergetic?

I do think that it is exoenergetic since the build up of a radioactive atom needs an external source of energy to create such an atom in the first place. The energy is stored in the build up of the atom so you might also consider it endoenergetic.

jtbell said:
A friendly linguistic tip: in English we usually say "emitted" or "released" in this context.

"Excrete" is usually used to describe a certain body function that most people do about once per day. :smile:

I knew that, only excrete came to my mind. xD But I guess you know what I mean.

Macocio said:
Hello.
So where does the 80.3994889976 GeV go when W is destroyed and excretes these two particle? Kinetic Energy?
Yes.

Also, often the W and Z bosons are virtual, so you don't really need that much energy lying around to use them.

In fact, weak interactions have roughly the same fundamental strength as electromagnetism. The reason it is "weak" at everyday scales is that W and Z require so much energy to create, that processes involving them are extremely virtual, meaning that they are heavily suppressed due to the "borrowing" of energy.

Related to Where does the energy of a destroyed W boson go?

1. What is the weak interaction?

The weak interaction is one of the four fundamental forces in the universe, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong interaction. It is responsible for radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in the processes of nuclear fusion and fission.

2. How does the weak interaction work?

The weak interaction is mediated by particles called W and Z bosons. These particles are responsible for the transformation of one type of particle into another, such as the decay of a neutron into a proton and an electron.

3. What is the role of the weak interaction in the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model of particle physics is a theory that describes the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. The weak interaction is one of the three interactions included in this model, along with electromagnetism and the strong interaction.

4. How is the weak interaction related to the Higgs boson?

In the Standard Model, the Higgs boson is responsible for giving particles their mass. The weak interaction is closely related to the Higgs mechanism, which explains how particles acquire mass through interactions with the Higgs field.

5. Can the weak interaction be observed in everyday life?

While the weak interaction is responsible for many important processes in the universe, it is not typically observable in everyday life. It is only apparent at the subatomic level and requires high-energy particle accelerators to be studied and understood.