Where Did I Go Wrong When Simplifying This Exponent Equation?

In summary: the various negative signs make this kind of complicated.the first thing i would do is recognize that:$-4a^{-4}b^{-5} = (-1)(4)(a^{-4}b^{-5})$so:$(-4a^{-4}b^{-5})^{-3} = (-1)^{-3}(4)^{-3}(a^{-4})^{-3}(b^{-5})^{-3}$and:$(-1)^{-3} = \dfrac{1}{(-1)^3} = \dfrac{1}{-1}
PistolSlap
I have this problem to simplify with positive exponents:

\[\left[(-4a^{-4}b^{-5})^{-3}\right]^4\]

So, working with the interior brackets, I applied -3 to the equation, which resulted in:

\[-(-64)x^{12}b^{15}\]

**because "-4" was not in brackets, the exponent was applied to the 4 only, independent of the negative sign, which resulted in -(-64), so:

\[\left[ 64x^{12}b^{15}\right]^4\]

which resulted in this insane answer:

\[16777216x^{48}b^{60}\]

However, when I checked it, an online calculator said the answer was:

\[\frac{a^{48}b^{60}}{16777216}\]

which means that when applying exponents to the number I did something wrong, as it should have ended up negative, which would have resulted in it becoming a positive denominator.

What did I do wrong to end up with the wrong sign on that number?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Simplifying Question -- Please Help?

In your first step, you incorrectly applied the exponent of -3 to the constant -4, you applied a positive 3 instead. Your first step should look like:

$\displaystyle \left[\left(-4a^{-4}b^{-5} \right)^{-3} \right]^4=\left[(-4)^{1(-3)}a^{-4(-3)}b^{-5(-3)} \right]^4=\left[(-4)^{-3}a^{12}b^{15} \right]^4=\left[-\frac{a^{12}b^{15}}{4^3} \right]^4$

Now, you can see why the result is as given by the online calculator you used.

the various negative signs make this kind of complicated.

the first thing i would do is recognize that:

$-4a^{-4}b^{-5} = (-1)(4)(a^{-4}b^{-5})$

so:

$(-4a^{-4}b^{-5})^{-3} = (-1)^{-3}(4)^{-3}(a^{-4})^{-3}(b^{-5})^{-3}$

and:

$(-1)^{-3} = \dfrac{1}{(-1)^3} = \dfrac{1}{-1} = -1$, so

$(-1)^{-3}(4)^{-3}(a^{-4})^{-3}(b^{-5})^{-3} = -[(4)^{-3}(a^{-4})^{-3}(b^{-5})^{-3}]$

now, "inside the brackets" the first term is:

$4^{-3} = \dfrac{1}{4^3}$, so we have:

$(-4a^{-3}b^{-5})^{-3} = -\left(\dfrac{a^{(-4)(-3)}b^{(-5)(-3)}}{4^3}\right) = -\left(\dfrac{a^{12}b^{15}}{4^3}\right)$

taking the 4th power of this, the negative sign goes away, and we get:

$[(-4a^{-3}b^{-5})^{-3}]^4 = \left[-\left(\dfrac{a^{12}b^{15}}{4^3}\right)\right]^4 = \left(\dfrac{a^{12}b^{15}}{4^3}\right)^4$

$ = \dfrac{a^{48}b^{60}}{4^{12}}$

as a side note, your reasoning that since (-4) was "not in brackets" the exponent did not apply to the negative sign but only to the 4 is wrong...you just got lucky, because -3 is ODD.

for example:

$(-2a)^2 = 4a^2$ but $-(2a)^2 = -4a^2$

since the first is $(-2a)(-2a)$ while the second is $-(2a)(2a)$.

Re: Simplifying Question -- Please Help?

Awesome, thanks, I understand now! :D

MarkFL said:
In your first step, you incorrectly applied the exponent of -3 to the constant -4, you applied a positive 3 instead. Your first step should look like:

$\displaystyle \left[\left(-4a^{-4}b^{-5} \right)^{-3} \right]^4=\left[(-4)^{1(-3)}a^{-4(-3)}b^{-5(-3)} \right]^4=\left[(-4)^{-3}a^{12}b^{15} \right]^4=\left[-\frac{a^{12}b^{15}}{4^3} \right]^4$

Now, you can see why the result is as given by the online calculator you used.

It appears that you may have made a mistake in applying the negative exponent to the coefficient -4. When simplifying exponents, it is important to remember that the negative sign applies to the entire term, not just the number. In this case, the correct solution would be:

\[\left[(-4a^{-4}b^{-5})^{-3}\right]^4=(-4)^{-3}a^{12}b^{15}=(-\frac{1}{64})a^{12}b^{15}=\frac{a^{12}b^{15}}{64}\]

This is consistent with the answer provided by the online calculator. It is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you are applying the rules of exponents correctly.

Related to Where Did I Go Wrong When Simplifying This Exponent Equation?

1. What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that indicates the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is written as a superscript above the base number, such as 23 where 2 is the base and 3 is the exponent.

2. How do you simplify exponents?

To simplify exponents, you can use the exponent properties, such as the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule. These properties state that when multiplying or dividing numbers with the same base, you can add or subtract the exponents, respectively. You can also use the power rule to simplify exponents raised to a power.

3. Can you simplify negative exponents?

Yes, you can simplify negative exponents using the reciprocal property. This states that any number raised to a negative exponent is equal to the reciprocal of the number raised to the positive exponent. For example, 2-3 is equal to 1/(23) which simplifies to 1/8.

4. How do you simplify exponents with different bases?

If the exponents have different bases, you can use the power rule to rewrite the exponents with the same base. Then, you can apply the product or quotient rule to simplify the exponents further.

5. Why is it important to simplify exponents?

Simplifying exponents allows us to solve more complex mathematical problems, such as in algebra and calculus. It also helps to make calculations easier and more efficient. Furthermore, simplifying exponents is important in understanding and applying mathematical concepts in various fields of science and engineering.