Where can I start learning about quantum physics?

In summary: You might also try Gamow's "Mr. Tompkins" stories.In summary, the proof behind quantum physics is based on the mathematics of subatomic particles and relativistic effects. It can be hard to understand at first, but a good place to start is by reading popular-level books like Thirty Years that Shook Physics or Mr. Tompkins.
thharrimw
I know that quantum physics is the physics of subatomic particles and that it has lots of "wierd" topics but what is the proof behind it and where sould i start to learn quantum physics? I've taken physics and studyed mechanics, therodynamics, viberations and waves, magnetism, optics and einstein's theories of relativity so a have at least a basic knolege of high school physics and I'm currently a high school senior. my school dosen't offer a 2'nt year of physics so i desided that i wanted to teach myslef quantum physics but i don't know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
To really start to get "into" quantum mechanics, you need calculus.

Many years ago when I was in high school, I got my introduction to atomic, nuclear and quantum physics by reading popular-level books like George Gamow's Thirty Years that Shook Physics. I think it's still a good starting place for the history and concepts, although it obviously doesn't discuss things like the Large Hadron Collider. :rolleyes:

You might also try Gamow's "Mr. Tompkins" stories.

I know calculus... Well I got a 4 on the AB test I'm curently studying 3D calculus and Diffy Q's.

well if you know diff eq. you should only learn the Hamilton formulation of physics. then you can go quantum ;)

what is the main reason behind making the LHC? at my school some people who know nothing about physics and black holes were freaking out becouse they thought that the LHC was trying to make a black hole and they thought they were going to die. I know that even if the LHC actually makes a black hole it would be so small that hawlking radation would make it evaporate really fast and i also know that there trying to make a Huqes busim. i probley spelled it wrong but what is that?

thharrimw said:
what is the main reason behind making the LHC? at my school some people who know nothing about physics and black holes were freaking out becouse they thought that the LHC was trying to make a black hole and they thought they were going to die. I know that even if the LHC actually makes a black hole it would be so small that hawlking radation would make it evaporate really fast and i also know that there trying to make a Huqes busim. i probley spelled it wrong but what is that?

You should read the Black Holes in the LHC thread and, if after reading that you wish to discuss it, please post in that thread.

P.S. You mean the Higgs Boson.

evidenso said:
well if you know diff eq. you should only learn the Hamilton formulation of physics. then you can go quantum ;)

what is a good book for the hamilton formalation?

thharrimw said:
what is a good book for the hamilton formalation?

The standard book is Goldstein, Classical Mechanics (though it's probably a little old now, and not the best for a beginner). Here is a link to some lecture notes on the topic, which seem pretty useful. There was a very good set of lecture notes online on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics, but I can't remember where. Perhaps someone else will be able to give some references.

what's the difference between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

I liked Feynman's introduction to quantum stuff - third volume of his lectures. Just read the first bit and that's a good taste. No calculus, if I recall. And much easier than anything in the first two volumes.

thharrimw said:
what's the difference between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics?

its just 2 different formulation of Newtons law. You need a well understanding of this and waves, especially the differential wave equation before you go quantum.

I think you should read quantum physics and atomic physics before you go into particle physics

cristo said:
The standard book is Goldstein, Classical Mechanics (though it's probably a little old now, and not the best for a beginner). Here is a link to some lecture notes on the topic, which seem pretty useful. There was a very good set of lecture notes online on Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Mechanics, but I can't remember where. Perhaps someone else will be able to give some references.

Here are some lecture notes from Harvard by Howard Georgi: http://www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~phys16/lectures/

It's not as advanced as Goldstein or Tong but lo6.pdf and lo7.pdf treat the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism.

EDIT: I got the link from 't Hooft's webpage http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html ,it also has some other links to Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics lectures.

Last edited:
thanks that should get me started and keep me busy for a while

Related to Where can I start learning about quantum physics?

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how particles interact and behave differently from classical physics, which deals with larger objects.

2. What are the key principles of quantum physics?

The key principles of quantum physics are superposition, entanglement, and uncertainty. Superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states simultaneously. Entanglement is the connection between particles that allows them to affect each other even at a distance. Uncertainty refers to the fact that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be precisely known at the same time.

3. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Quantum physics is different from classical physics in several ways. In classical physics, objects are described as definite, separate entities with precise properties. However, in quantum physics, particles can exist in multiple states at once and behave unpredictably. Additionally, classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics incorporates probability and uncertainty.

4. What are some applications of quantum physics?

Quantum physics has numerous applications in modern technology, including transistors, lasers, and computers. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum teleportation. Additionally, medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, are based on principles of quantum physics.

5. What are the implications of quantum physics for our understanding of the universe?

Quantum physics has challenged our traditional understanding of the universe and has led to many thought-provoking theories and concepts, such as the multiverse theory and the observer effect. It has also opened up new avenues for scientific exploration and has the potential to revolutionize many areas of science and technology in the future.