Where Can I Find Resources to Help Me Solve Double Integral Problems?

In summary: Yes that's true but the real point of the post was to tell the OP about a resource that would help him which was located near these references.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the cylinder y^2+z^2=9 and the planes x=0, y=0, z=0, and 2x+y=2.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is double integral problem. I know how to find the double integral but I don't know how to set it up. How do I find the limits of integration for this double integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the solid bounded by the cylinder y^2+z^2=9 and the planes x=0, y=0, z=0, and 2x+y=2.

Homework Equations

None.

This is double integral problem. I know how to find the double integral but I don't know how to set it up. How do I find the limits of integration for this double integral?
Setting these integrals up is often the hardest part. Have you drawn a sketch of the solid?

Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

None.

Please show you solution efforts. However, to help you start, here is a hint: when doing double or triple integral problems, always, always, always make a sketch of the integration region. It will help you figure out what your next steps should be.

You can write z in terms of y and x in terms of y, so I would recommend y be your outer integral. Neither z nor x depend on each other, so their order should not matter.

You need to setup the integral and then you'll know how to setup the limits.

There are some videos on the mathispower4u that talk about the washer method and the shell method:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28928849/Webpages/Calculus2VideoLibraryTable.htm

jedishrfu said:
You need to setup the integral and then you'll know how to setup the limits.

There are some videos on the mathispower4u that talk about the washer method and the shell method:
Neither of which is relevant to this problem.

Math10 said:
x=0, y=0, z=0 isn't a plane, it is a point. I expect you mean the plane y=0, z=0.

Svein said:
x=0, y=0, z=0 isn't a plane, it is a point. I expect you mean the plane y=0, z=0.

No, that is the three coordinate planes. He wrote what he meant there.

LCKurtz said:
No, that is the three coordinate planes. He wrote what he meant there.
Ah. Sorry.

LCKurtz said:
Neither of which is relevant to this problem.

Yes that's true but the real point of the post was to tell the OP about a resource that would help him which was located near these references.

Related to Where Can I Find Resources to Help Me Solve Double Integral Problems?

1. What is the definition of volume?

The volume of a solid is the amount of space that it occupies in three-dimensional space. It is typically measured in units such as cubic meters or cubic feet.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a solid?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid depends on its shape. For example, the volume of a cube can be found by multiplying the length of one side by itself three times (V = s^3). The volume of a cylinder can be found by multiplying the area of the base by the height (V= πr^2h).

3. What are the units of measurement for volume?

The most commonly used units for volume are cubic meters (m^3) and cubic feet (ft^3). However, depending on the size of the solid, other units such as milliliters (mL) or gallons (gal) may be used.

4. How is volume different from surface area?

Volume measures the space inside a solid, while surface area measures the outside surface of a solid. Volume is measured in cubic units, while surface area is measured in square units.

5. Can the volume of an irregularly shaped solid be calculated?

Yes, the volume of an irregularly shaped solid can be calculated by using the displacement method. This involves placing the solid in a container filled with water and measuring the change in water level. The change in water level is equal to the volume of the solid.