Where Can I Find Online Resources to Pre-Learn Electromechanics?

In summary, Dave is looking for a good online source for electromechanics material he can pre-learn prior to taking the course at university. The links he provides include resources for learning about electromechanics, material for the course he is taking, and recommended textbooks.
cpscdave
TLDR; I'm looking for a good online source for electromechanics material I can pre-learn prior to taking the course at university

Hi folks,
In the fall I'm starting my last semester of EE, and one of the courses we have to take is Electromechanics.
We just found out who the professor is for the course and sadly the prof assigned is the worst professor (by far) I've encountered across my 2 degrees. During the last course we had with him (the only one I figured I would have to take from him) he screamed at me in front of the entire class on a couple different occasions for such serious things as asking him to clarify what he had written on the white board.

Needless to say I'm now a bit worried about this course. I figure the best way I can handle the class is to not say anything to the prof and work hard giving him no room to piss on me.

One thing I'd like to do over the next month before classes start is get a head start on the material. Does anyone have a good online source for material I can take a look at??
Thanks
-Dave

Here is the course description:

This course covers the principles of electromechanical energy conversion and electric motors. A review of magnetic field behavior leads to magnetic circuit calculations and permanent magnet circuit behavior. Energy balance principles are used to develop force and torque relationships for many electromechanical applications including relays, meter movements and motor operation. Basic principles of motor operation such as rotating magnetic fields, efficiency and machine ratings are given as a prelude to an in depth presentation of AC and DC motor behavior. Emphasis is placed on motor control and application.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe someone knows links to old US Army and Navy training films and books from 1950's ?

Likes 1 person
MrSparkle said:
no no no, you GET to take Electromechanics. :-)

I WAS looking forward to the course till it was this prof...

Thanks for the links I shall start looking at them post haste :D

Hello Dave,

I'm sorry to hear about your previous negative experience with this professor. However, it's great that you are taking the initiative to prepare for the course ahead of time.

As for online sources for electromechanics material, there are several reliable and reputable websites that offer resources for this subject. Some suggestions include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. These platforms offer free online courses, lectures, and tutorials on electromechanics that you can access and review at your own pace.

In addition, there are also many textbooks and reference materials available online that cover the principles of electromechanical energy conversion and electric motors. Some popular titles include "Electromechanical Energy Conversion" by David W. Hart and "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Stephen J. Chapman.

I would also recommend reaching out to your university's library or academic resource center for additional materials or resources that may be available to you as a student.

Best of luck in your studies and I hope you have a better experience with this course. Don't hesitate to seek help from your peers or other professors if needed. Remember, it's always better to ask for clarification than to struggle and fall behind.

Best,
[Your name]

Related to Where Can I Find Online Resources to Pre-Learn Electromechanics?

1. What is Electromechanics?

Electromechanics is a branch of physics that studies the relationship between electrical and mechanical systems. It involves the application of electromagnetism principles to the design and operation of mechanical systems.

2. How does Electromechanics work?

Electromechanics works by utilizing the interaction between electricity and magnetism to produce motion in mechanical systems. This is achieved through the use of electromechanical devices such as motors, generators, and transformers.

3. What are some common applications of Electromechanics?

Some common applications of Electromechanics include electric motors, which are used in a variety of devices such as fans, pumps, and appliances. It is also used in transformers, which are essential for power distribution in electrical grids.

4. How can I solve Electromechanics homework problems?

To solve Electromechanics homework problems, you will need to have a good understanding of the principles and equations involved. Start by identifying the given information and what needs to be solved. Then, use the appropriate equations and solve for the unknown variables.

5. Are there any challenges in studying Electromechanics?

Studying Electromechanics can be challenging as it requires a combination of knowledge in both electrical and mechanical engineering. It also involves complex mathematical equations and calculations. However, with practice and a good understanding of the fundamentals, it can be mastered.