Where can I find information on C++ 2010 Express for a software rewrite?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter PaulS1950
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary: I have looked through the Borland C++ manual and found that the getch() function is not in the help file. It is in the "system library" which is a hidden library that is not in the "default include path". I have not looked for a replacement function as I have not had a need for one. However, if you are having trouble finding a function that does what you need, you can always create your own.Ox,In summary, cgets() is not in VS 2010 Express and cgets() may be replaced with cgets() if it is broken.
PaulS1950
Does anyone know where I can find lists of the names of functions, header files and key words along with the definitions and uses? I have no information beyond about 1985. I am sure there are some that were kept through the ANSI changes but I rerally need those and the only book I found hasn't been released yet.
All my writing of software is from 25 years ago and I am going to finally bring myself out of the twentieth century (DOS) and into the twenty-first (Windoze).
I am going to be writing (re-writing) software for myself (as I have always done) and they are stand-alone applications with print functions and database files. I don't know if the applications will need DLLs or not but I would imagine that having them would reduce the complexity of the applications.
Thanks for any assistance,
Paul

Technology news on Phys.org
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2010/n3035.pdf

There are at least 4 C++ compilers in use. (gnu, microsoft (visual c++/cli), Borland and Intel) There is a limited standard library, and you'll find a link to the respective committee in the corresponding wikipedia article. There are tons of open libraries for everything you have to scrape together from all around the net. Many people use the boost libraries. If you want to use microsoft stuff there is the microsoft developers network, where all of their libs and apis are documented, but their stuff costs money.

I am not quite sure what your plans are. Programming applications with buttons to click is a very different way of programming. If you think about learning this I would like to encourage you to learn a newer garbage collected language like C# or java, it won't cost you much more time. The programs look almost identical to c++, and unless you are very sophisticated you won't notice a speed difference, but programming is much faster.

Last edited:
Download and install one or more of the free C/C++ compilers / development enviroments, such as Visual C++ express. In the case of visual C++ 2010, there's a console window link that will place you in the main VC directory. From there you can "cd" to include, and see a list of include files. Look for ones similar to what you're old programs used, then browse inside the include files to search for library function names. Most of the name changes to the really old stuff are minor.

I did find that cgets(), now called _cgets(), is broke and was not planned to be fixed in VS 2010, even though the bug was reported years ago. The last version I know that works was Visual C/C++ 4.1. It would be possible to create a replacement for it with a slight variation in the name, but I use VC 4.0 or 4.1 for old code, since I rarely need to debug the old stuff.

Ox,
I am planning drop down windows that get their contents from files (user editable text) and page scroll for long pages. It will have to be menu driven to some extent because the program will switch between input and output windows. It will contain a database that the user generates from inside the software, config files for screen colors and formats. The main output is going to be generated by a recursive algorithm and will be capable of generating up to 1000 lines of output for a single "page".

Rootx,
I am not really interested in C# or java as this will be a stand-alone application with no "outside" dependancies (other than Windows OS).

Jeff,
I have downloaded Visual C++ 2010 Express. Since I am writing for Windows it seems best to use the MS IDE. If _cgets() is broken can you use the cgets() instead? ( I believe I used getch() for all my input but I will have to check to be sure.
Jeff, I should tell you that the original programs were written with Borland C++ and the differences that exist make it difficult to get "similar" function names.

Last edited:

Related to Where can I find information on C++ 2010 Express for a software rewrite?

What is C++ 2010 Express?

C++ 2010 Express is a free, lightweight version of Microsoft's C++ programming language integrated development environment (IDE). It is designed for beginners and hobbyists to learn and practice the basics of C++ programming.

How do I download and install C++ 2010 Express?

To download and install C++ 2010 Express, you can go to Microsoft's website and search for "C++ 2010 Express download" or click on the link provided in the description. Once downloaded, simply follow the installation instructions provided by the setup wizard.

What are the system requirements for C++ 2010 Express?

The minimum system requirements for C++ 2010 Express are a 1.6 GHz or faster processor, 1 GB of RAM, and 4 GB of available hard disk space. It is also recommended to have a graphics card that supports DirectX 9.0 or later.

Can I use C++ 2010 Express for commercial purposes?

No, C++ 2010 Express is intended for personal and educational use only. It is not licensed for commercial purposes. If you plan on using C++ for commercial projects, you will need to purchase a licensed version of Microsoft's Visual Studio.

Are there any limitations to using C++ 2010 Express?

Yes, as a free version of the IDE, C++ 2010 Express has some limitations compared to the full version of Visual Studio. For example, it does not include some advanced features such as code refactoring or integration with third-party tools. However, it still provides all the necessary tools for beginners to learn and practice C++ programming.