Where can I find examples of binary power plants for analysis and study?

In summary, the conversation is about finding examples of binary power plants to work on. The person is struggling with analyzing a binary PP using propane and asks for recommendations. They later mention finding a good example in a book titled 'Geothermal Power Plants, Second Edition' by Ronald DiPippo which can be found for free online.
Yezzir
Hi, I'm looking for binary power plant example problems to work out. Does anybody know of any websites or links to books, or books in general which has some?

Currently, I am trying to analyze a binary PP using propane, and for some damn reason the numbers keep blowing up when i get fairly close (95 C) to the critical point =/

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I finally found one.

If anyone is looking for at least one good example of a simple binary power plant, check out 'Geothermal Power Plants, Second Edition: Principles, Applications, Case Studies and Environmental Impact' by Ronald DiPippo.

Also, if you look around google you can find the pdf for free!

Related to Where can I find examples of binary power plants for analysis and study?

1. What is a binary power plant?

A binary power plant is a type of geothermal power plant that uses binary cycle technology to generate electricity. It works by using the heat from underground hot water or steam to vaporize a working fluid, which then turns a turbine to produce electricity.

2. How does a binary power plant work?

A binary power plant uses two separate closed-loop systems: the geothermal fluid system and the binary fluid system. The geothermal fluid, which is hot water or steam, flows through a heat exchanger and transfers its heat to the working fluid in the binary system. The working fluid then vaporizes and expands, turning a turbine and generating electricity.

3. What are some examples of binary power plants?

Some examples of binary power plants include the Geysers Geothermal Field in California, which is the largest geothermal power plant in the world; the Hellisheidi Power Plant in Iceland, which utilizes both binary and steam technology; and the Lihir Gold Mine Geothermal Power Plant in Papua New Guinea, which powers a gold mine using geothermal energy.

4. What are the advantages of binary power plants?

Binary power plants have several advantages, including low greenhouse gas emissions, as they do not burn fossil fuels; high efficiency, as the working fluid can be customized for specific temperature ranges; and minimal environmental impact, as they do not require large amounts of land or water.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using binary power plants?

One disadvantage of binary power plants is their high initial cost, as they require specialized equipment and technology. They also require a geothermal resource with high temperatures, which may not be available in all locations. Additionally, the working fluid used in binary power plants may be toxic to the environment if leaked.