Where are the maximum stresses located in a thin plate with opposing forces?

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the maximum stress in a thin plate with two forces acting in opposite directions. The challenge is that the object is not in static equilibrium, and the position and loads need to be adjusted accordingly. The suggested method is to solve the equilibrium equations for horizontal and vertical forces and moments, and then use the equation \sigma_{11}=F/A-My/I to find the normal stress at any point. This equation can be found in any Mechanical of Materials textbook.
ladil
Hello,

I need some help (or a lot) of calculating where and how much the maximum stress is in a plate as seen in my attached figure.

It´s a thin plate (1mm) that is designed as my picture and it has two forces acting in opposite direction.

How do I calculate where the maximum stresses in the plate would be?

Thank you. Any other dimensions are arbitrary.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
An immediate challenge to solving this is that, if the loads are correct, the object is not in static equilibrium. It will start rotating clockwise. So either the position is correct and the loads are incomplete, or one needs to find the equilibrium position.

I´m sorry.

The Force applied to the left in the figure can be neglected.
It should be completely constrained in that position.

So you'll have an axial tensile load of magnitude F, along with a bending moment that increases as the lever arm from F increases, reaching its maximum at the wall. Know what I mean?

I understand a little bit.
Should I do a equlibrium equation?
F-R=0 in the horisontal direction? R being reaction force on the wall.

I need some more assistance before I can go on.

Thank you.

Exactly; solve the equilibrium equations for horizontal and vertical forces and for moments. At any point, then, you can find the normal stress from [itex]\sigma_{11}=F/A-My/I[/itex], where y is the distance from the neutral axis and I is the second moment of area. This equation is derived in any Mechanical of Materials textbook.

Thank you.

Related to Where are the maximum stresses located in a thin plate with opposing forces?

1. What is the maximum stress in a plate?

The maximum stress in a plate is the highest level of internal force or pressure that a plate can withstand before it experiences failure or deformation. This is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch or megapascals.

2. How is the maximum stress in a plate calculated?

The maximum stress in a plate is calculated using the principles of stress analysis, which involves analyzing the forces and moments acting on a plate and determining the internal stresses that result. This can be done using mathematical equations or through computer simulations.

3. What factors affect the maximum stress in a plate?

Several factors can affect the maximum stress in a plate, including the material properties of the plate, the geometry and dimensions of the plate, the magnitude and distribution of external forces and moments, and the boundary conditions at the edges of the plate.

4. How does the maximum stress in a plate relate to its strength?

The maximum stress in a plate is a critical factor in determining its strength. If the maximum stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, the plate will experience permanent deformation or failure. Therefore, it is important to design plates with a maximum stress that is below the yield strength to ensure structural integrity.

5. Can the maximum stress in a plate be reduced?

Yes, the maximum stress in a plate can be reduced through various methods, such as increasing the thickness of the plate, changing the material to one with a higher yield strength, or altering the shape or dimensions of the plate to distribute the stress more evenly. Designing for lower maximum stresses can also improve the overall strength and durability of the plate.