Where are the Higgs particles?

In summary, the Higgs particle can exist on its own and is produced in high-energetic collisions, but it is extremely short-lived. It is not relevant for the particles around us, as it is the Higgs field that leads to their mass. It is not a widely discussed candidate for dark mass/energy due to its short lifespan.
Paulibus
I've been reading Jim Baggott's book "Higgs -- The Invention and Discovery of the 'God Particle' "and have a rather elementary question, easily answered, I'm sure, by folk that contribute to this forum: is the Higgs only associated with the inner machinations of other 'elementary' particles, or can such entities exist on their own, as it were, dispersed in what appears to be the empty voids of inter- (planetary, stellar, galactic space)?

Is it a widely discussed candidate for dark mass/energy; if so, I'd appreciate web references that I could turn to.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Physics news on Phys.org
They can exist on their own, they are produced in high-energetic collisions - both naturally and in the LHC. They are extremely short-living, so they decay extremely quickly again.

The Higgs particle is irrelevant for all the particles around us. It is the Higgs field that leads to their mass.
Paulibus said:
Is it a widely discussed candidate for dark mass/energy
No. Way too short-living (like 40 orders of magnitude too short).

Likes vanhees71

Related to Where are the Higgs particles?

1. Where were the Higgs particles first discovered?

The Higgs particles were first discovered in 2012 at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN in Switzerland.

2. How were the Higgs particles detected?

The Higgs particles were detected by the two main detectors at the LHC, the CMS and ATLAS detectors, which measure the energy and direction of particles that are produced during high-energy collisions.

3. Why are the Higgs particles important?

The Higgs particles are important because they are the missing piece in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are responsible for giving other particles their mass.

4. Where else have the Higgs particles been observed?

The Higgs particles have only been observed at the LHC so far. However, there are plans to study them further at the LHC and other future particle colliders.

5. What is the significance of finding the Higgs particles?

Finding the Higgs particles confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is a fundamental part of the Standard Model and helps explain how particles acquire mass. This discovery is a major milestone in understanding the fundamental building blocks of the universe.