When two spheres intervine - very hard 3d geometry and vectors problem

In summary, the sphere with P as the centre has equation (x-5)^2 + (y-9)^2 + z^2 -100 = 0. The sphere with Q as the centre has equation (x-1)^2 + (y+3)^2 + (z-3)^2 -49 = 0. The surface area of the object is 13 - (x-5)^2 + (y-9)^2 + z^2.
Nikitin

Homework Statement

Sphere with P as centre has equation (x-5)^2 + (y-9)^2 + z^2 -100 = 0
Sphere with Q as centre has equation (x-1)^2 + (y+3)^2 + (z-3)^2 -49 =0

These spheres intervine with each other. Find the surface area of the object limited by the two spheres.

The Attempt at a Solution

Allright, the spheres have centres in P and Q. |PQ|=|[-4,-12,3]|=13. Radius of sphere P is 10, of sphere Q 7.

Here's a picture of the situation http://cameroid.com/i/JMJ80-A1 . Just read the letters from right to left and u should be good. The yellowish thing is supposed to represent the intervined part of the two spheres.

I need to find the distance PS but I don't know how. I tried proving that the triangle contains 3 proportional triangles but I don't think that's the case..

Physics news on Phys.org
Nikitin said:

Homework Statement

Sphere with P as centre has equation (x-5)^2 + (y-9)^2 + z^2 -100 = 0
Sphere with Q as centre has equation (x-1)^2 + (y+3)^2 + (z-3)^2 -49 =0

These spheres intervine with each other. Find the surface area of the object limited by the two spheres.

The Attempt at a Solution

Allright, the spheres have centres in P and Q. |PQ|=|[-4,-12,3]|=13. Radius of sphere P is 10, of sphere Q 7.

Here's a picture of the situation http://cameroid.com/i/JMJ80-A1 . Just read the letters from right to left and u should be good. The yellowish thing is supposed to represent the intervined part of the two spheres.

I need to find the distance PS but I don't know how. I tried proving that the triangle contains 3 proportional triangles but I don't think that's the case..

Your picture isn't coming through. If you look at a cross section, you have two intersecting circles of radius 10 and 7. If you draw a line from the top to bottom of the common lens shaped object, it is perpendicular to the line of centers. I'm guessing that intersection point is what you are calling S. You have two right triangles with hypotenuses 10 and 7 and a common side. Call PS = x and SQ = 13 - x.

Just use the Pythagorean theorem to set the common sides equal to each other and solve for x which is the distance PS.

Thanks!

Related to When two spheres intervine - very hard 3d geometry and vectors problem

1. How do you determine the intersection point of two spheres?

The intersection point of two spheres can be determined by finding the distance between the centers of the spheres and comparing it to the sum of their radii. If the distance between the centers is less than or equal to the sum of the radii, then the spheres intersect at two points. The coordinates of these points can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and vector operations.

2. What is the formula for finding the distance between two points in 3D space?

The distance between two points in 3D space can be calculated using the distance formula, which is the square root of the sum of the squared differences between the x, y, and z coordinates of the two points. In vector form, it can be written as ||P1-P2||, where P1 and P2 are the two points in 3D space.

3. How do you determine if two spheres are completely overlapping?

If the distance between the centers of two spheres is less than the difference between their radii, then the spheres are completely overlapping. In other words, if the absolute value of the difference between the radii is greater than the distance between the centers, then the spheres are overlapping.

4. Can two spheres intersect at more than two points?

No, two spheres can only intersect at a maximum of two points in 3D space. This is because the spheres are defined by their centers and radii, and any more than two intersection points would create a new sphere with a different center and/or radius.

5. How do you handle the case of two spheres not intersecting at all?

If the distance between the centers of two spheres is greater than the sum of their radii, then the spheres do not intersect at all. In this case, there is no intersection point, and the spheres are either completely separate or one is contained within the other. This can be determined by comparing the distance between the centers to the difference between the radii, similar to determining if the spheres are overlapping.