When should i (on paper) pump a network with a source to determine values?

In summary, there are times when it is necessary to pump a network of resistors, capacitors, and inductors with a 1 amp ac current source or a 1 volt ac voltage source in order to determine certain values within the system. This is particularly helpful when dealing with non-linear devices or when more accurate numbers are needed. However, it is important to first try solving the circuit using KCL and KVL equations and to use approximations or simulations if needed. It is also helpful to consider the tolerances of the components when using simulation tools.
chopficaro
i understand that there are times when one should (on paper) pump a network of resistors, capacitors, and inductors with a 1 amp ac current source or a 1 volt ac voltage source in order to determine certain values within the system

however, i am having trouble determining when i need to use this tool, and i have a test on wednesday!

Physics news on Phys.org
chopficaro said:
i understand that there are times when one should (on paper) pump a network of resistors, capacitors, and inductors with a 1 amp ac current source or a 1 volt ac voltage source in order to determine certain values within the system

however, i am having trouble determining when i need to use this tool, and i have a test on wednesday!

I'm not sure. Generally with linear circuits, you will be able to solve for the currents and voltages using KCL or KVL simultaneous equations.

If there are non-linear devices (transistors, diodes, etc), you can use approximations to help you solve the circuit. If you need more accurate numbers, you can use simulation to help you understand how the circuit behaves. You can also use Monte-Carlo techniques in the simulations to help you understand how the circuit will function with components that have values that fall within their tolerances, but are not the exact value shown in the schematic...

you are correct not to be sure, i just found out that its just an extra step in the methods i have already been using :( sorry
believe it or not ur post helped me out, it made me think, wow, if the guys at physics forums don't know, then there must be something wrong with my question, sure enough there was

Related to When should i (on paper) pump a network with a source to determine values?

1. When should I pump a network with a source to determine values?

Pumping a network with a source is typically done when analyzing the flow of a network. It can help determine the values of different elements in the network, such as flow rates and capacities.

2. What is the purpose of pumping a network with a source?

The purpose of pumping a network with a source is to simulate the flow of a network and determine the values of different elements in the network. This can help with understanding the efficiency and functioning of a network.

3. How do I pump a network with a source?

To pump a network with a source, you will need to first identify the source and the desired elements to analyze. Then, mathematical equations and algorithms can be used to simulate the flow and determine the values.

4. What type of networks can be pumped with a source?

Any type of network can be pumped with a source, as long as it follows a flow-based structure. This includes transportation networks, water distribution networks, and communication networks.

5. Are there any limitations to pumping a network with a source?

There may be limitations depending on the complexity of the network and the accuracy of the mathematical models used. It is important to consider the assumptions and uncertainties involved in the pumping process to ensure reliable results.