When should I consider the sign of charges when applying Coulomb's Law?

In summary, when determining the force between two charges using Coulomb's Law, it is important to find the direction and magnitude separately. The sign of the charges does not affect the magnitude of the force, but can indicate whether the force is attractive or repulsive. It is a good practice to draw a sketch to determine the direction of the force and then apply the Coulomb's Law formula to calculate the magnitude. Both positive and negative forces can occur, depending on the sign convention used.
panther1
I am studying Physics Vol2 by halliday, resnick and krane. I was attempting the coloumb force exercises..If we put one charge negative and other positive in the formula..then the force comes out to be negative but the instructor manual for the book ignores the negative charge, and take it as positive, then the force comes out as positive...what I want to ask is when do I put negative charge with the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Same force acts on both the objects.If one object is positive and other is negative then then both come towards each other.Now take a direction as positive let it be right(positive x direction probable you can take reverse but i took like this).let + charge be on- x-axis and - charge on + right axis.say both are equal in magnitude.then they both attract towards origin.so now say where the force is positive and where negative now the + charge move towards +x axis and - charge towards - x axis.Hence this concludes that force on + charge is positive(it is according to our convention) and negative charge is negative.Basically you can get opposite it is all according to sign convention you can take it as your wish.So we need to ignore charge for calculating force.

When determining any vector quantity, it is a good practice to determine the direction and magnitude separately.

As norhh correctly states, find the direction of the force depending on the signs of hte charges. Don't rely on your memory either; draw a sketch, clearly showing q1 and q2, and force arrows showing the direction of force on each.

Then apply Coulomb's Law formula to determine the magnitude of force, ignoring the sign of the charges.

Technically, if you do put in the charge signs, a negative result to Coulomb's Law is defined as an attractive force, while positive forces are repulsive. Either way they do not indicate the absolute direction, just "toward" or "away from" the other charge.

Related to When should I consider the sign of charges when applying Coulomb's Law?

1. What is negative Coulomb force?

Negative Coulomb force is an attractive or repulsive force between two charged particles that have opposite charges. It is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interaction between charged particles.

2. How is negative Coulomb force calculated?

Negative Coulomb force is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between negative Coulomb force and positive Coulomb force?

The main difference between negative and positive Coulomb force is that negative Coulomb force is attractive, while positive Coulomb force is repulsive. This means that particles with opposite charges experience an attractive force, while particles with the same charge experience a repulsive force.

4. What are some real-life examples of negative Coulomb force?

One example of negative Coulomb force is the force between an electron and a proton in an atom, which holds the atom together. Another example is the force between positively and negatively charged objects, such as a balloon sticking to a wall after being rubbed against hair.

5. How does the distance between charged particles affect negative Coulomb force?

The distance between charged particles has a significant impact on negative Coulomb force. As the distance between particles increases, the force decreases according to the inverse square law. This means that the force is stronger when particles are closer together and weaker when they are farther apart.