When plotting graphs in polar coordinates, how does one know when to

In summary, the sharpness of a graph in polar coordinates at θ=0 depends on the value of the constant a in the function r=a-\cos(\theta). If a=0, then the graph will have a sharp point (cusp) at θ=0, while a=3/2 will result in a smooth line. This can be understood by examining the velocity vector, which is dependent on the value of a.
hale2bopp
When plotting graphs in polar coordinates, how does one know when to make the graph sharp (at θ=0) (as in for the graph for r=1-cosθ) as opposed to a dimple (r=3/2 + cos θ) ?

Physics news on Phys.org

A graph in polar coordinates is given by [itex]r=f(\theta)[/itex].
Now, we can express such a graph in cartesian coordinates. So, if [itex]r=f(\theta)[/itex], then we can use the formulas

[tex]x=r\cos(\theta),~y=r\sin(\theta)[/tex]

to come up with the following form of the graph in cartesian coordinates:

[tex](f(\theta)\cos(\theta),f(\theta)\sin(\theta)[/tex]

For example, given [itex]r=a-\cos(\theta)[/itex] (with a constant), we can write this in cartesian coordinates as

[tex]((a-\cos(\theta))\cos(\theta),(a-\cos(\theta))\sin(\theta))[/tex]

Now, the use of this is simpy that we can now investigate our curve using analysis. So, we can find the "velocity vector" at a point by taking derivatives. The derivative of our above function now becomes

[tex](\sin(\theta)(2\cos(\theta)-a),a\cos(\theta)-\cos(2\theta))[/tex]

Now, if a=3/2, then our derivative in 0 is [itex](0,1/2)[/itex]

So, we can deduce that in 0, our function is going up with a speed of 1/2.

What if a=1? Then our derivative in 0 is (0,0). This is a weird result. It means that at 0, our velocity vector is zero and thus the curve just stands still. This is the explanation of why you get a sharp point (= a cusp) when a=0, but just a smooth line when a=3/2.

Related to When plotting graphs in polar coordinates, how does one know when to

1. How do I convert cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert cartesian coordinates (x,y) to polar coordinates (r,θ), use the following formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = arctan(y/x)

2. How do I plot points in polar coordinates?

To plot a point (r,θ) in polar coordinates, start at the origin (0,0) and move r units in the direction of θ. Then, draw a line connecting the origin to the point to create a polar graph.

3. How do I determine the scale for a polar graph?

The scale for a polar graph is determined by the maximum value of r and the number of units on the graph. For example, if the maximum value of r is 10 and the graph has 8 units, each unit on the graph would represent 1.25 units in polar coordinates.

4. How do I graph equations in polar coordinates?

To graph equations in polar coordinates, first convert the equation to polar form using the formulas:
x = rcos(θ)
y = rsin(θ). Then, plot points on the graph using the converted values and connect them to create the graph.

5. Can I use negative values for r in polar coordinates?

Yes, you can use negative values for r in polar coordinates. This indicates that the point is located in the opposite direction of θ from the origin. For example, a point with coordinates (-3,π/2) would be located 3 units to the left of the origin in the direction of π/2 radians.