When normal force isn't normal l

In summary, the normal force is the weight of the box, minus the upward force exerted by the rope on the box.
Gersty
When normal force isn't "normal"l

Homework Statement

A box with a certain mass is pulled across a horizontal surface by a rope at an angle. Figure out the components, the friction, the acceleration of the box, when the tension in the rope, its angle, the mass of the box, and mu are given.

Homework Equations

F=ma, sin (theta) hypotenuse, etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the solution but I'm having trouble explaining how the normal force is found. I am used to calculating the using m(g) to calculate the force of gravity. It seems as though the normal force should just be the same as gravity plus the upward component of the rope. I get that equilibrium plays a role but am just having difficulty explaining it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gersty said:

Homework Statement

A box with a certain mass is pulled across a horizontal surface by a rope at an angle. Figure out the components, the friction, the acceleration of the box, when the tension in the rope, its angle, the mass of the box, and mu are given.

Homework Equations

F=ma, sin (theta) hypotenuse, etc...

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the solution but I'm having trouble explaining how the normal force is found. I am used to calculating the using m(g) to calculate the force of gravity. It seems as though the normal force should just be the same as gravity plus the upward component of the rope. I get that equilibrium plays a role but am just having difficulty explaining it.

What do you mean with the sentence "It seems as though the normal force should just be the same as gravity plus the upward component of the rope."? The rope has no "upward component". In what direction is the rope pulled?

ehild

Imagine a box of mass 'm' just sitting on the ground. What is the normal force exerted by the ground on the box?

Now, imagine the box has a rope tied to it. Does the normal force on the box change?

If you pull straight up on the rope so that there is a tension of 5 N and the box is still sitting on the ground, what is the normal force exerted by the ground on the box? If the tension is 10 N? When is the normal force = 0?

Gersty said:

Homework Statement

If the rope makes angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the horizontal and has tension T, then the "upward force" is [itex]Tsin(\theta)[/itex] and the horizontal force is [itex]Tcos(\theta)[/itex]. The "normal force" (normal to the surface) is the weight of the box, mg, minus that upward force: [itex]mg- Tsin(\theta)[/itex].

I would like to clarify that the term "normal force" is often used in physics to describe the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. This force is typically equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity on the object. However, in certain situations, such as when an object is pulled at an angle by a rope, the normal force may not be "normal" in the traditional sense.

In this scenario, the normal force is still present and is still equal to the force of gravity on the object, but it may not be the only force acting on the object. The tension force from the rope, which is pulling the object at an angle, also contributes to the overall force on the object. This means that the normal force may not be the only force balancing out the force of gravity, and the resulting acceleration of the object may be influenced by both the normal force and the tension force from the rope.

To calculate the normal force in this situation, one must consider the vector components of the forces acting on the object. The vertical component of the tension force can be added to the force of gravity to determine the magnitude of the normal force, while the horizontal component of the tension force can be used to determine the acceleration of the object in that direction.

In summary, the normal force may not always be "normal" in the traditional sense, but it is still an important force to consider in situations where an object is being pulled or pushed at an angle. Its magnitude and direction can be determined by considering all the forces acting on the object and using vector analysis to determine the resulting acceleration.

Related to When normal force isn't normal l

1. What is normal force?

Normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied by the object on the surface.

2. When is normal force not normal?

Normal force is not normal when the surface is not perpendicular to the force applied by the object. This can happen when the surface is angled or curved, causing the normal force to also be angled or curved.

3. How is normal force calculated?

Normal force can be calculated by using the equation FN = mg cosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface and the force applied by the object.

4. What happens when normal force is not normal?

When normal force is not normal, it can affect the motion of the object. If the surface is angled, the normal force will also have a horizontal component, causing the object to accelerate or decelerate in that direction. If the surface is curved, the normal force will vary along the surface, affecting the object's motion.

5. How does normal force affect friction?

Normal force plays a crucial role in determining the amount of friction between two surfaces. The greater the normal force, the greater the friction force. This is because the normal force increases the amount of contact between the surfaces, resulting in a stronger interaction between them.