When does the Magnus force take effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of a Magnus force to a particle in 3D space after an impulse and drag have already been applied. It is clarified that the Magnus force acts continuously on the object while it is spinning and moving in relation to the surrounding air.
G15
Hey.
I'm not great at physics, so apologies if I'm missing something obvious. This isn't homework, I'm just interested in the topic.

I have a particle in 3d space and have an impulse applied to it. This impulse pushes the particle in the air and I have drag applied to it. Now, I'd like apply a Magnus force to the particle. When does the Magnus force take effect? Is the effect applied immediately or does it only take effect after a certain amount of time? If I was to program it, would I constantly calculate the Magnus force after the initial impulse or after a certain time period?

Thanks for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Magnus force acts continuously on the object while it spins and moves relative to the surrounding air.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus_effect"

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to When does the Magnus force take effect?

1. What is the Magnus force?

The Magnus force is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an object (such as a ball) rotates while moving through a fluid (such as air or water). It causes the object to experience a sideways force that is perpendicular to the direction of motion.

2. How does the Magnus force take effect?

The Magnus force takes effect when there is a difference in the pressures on the two sides of the rotating object. This difference in pressure creates a net force that pushes the object in a sideways direction.

3. What factors affect the strength of the Magnus force?

The strength of the Magnus force is affected by several factors, including the speed of the object, the spin rate, the density of the fluid, and the shape and size of the object.

4. When does the Magnus force have the greatest effect?

The Magnus force has the greatest effect when the object is moving at a high speed and has a high spin rate. Additionally, a larger surface area and a denser fluid can also increase the strength of the Magnus force.

5. How is the Magnus force used in sports?

The Magnus force is commonly used in sports such as soccer, tennis, and baseball. In these sports, players use spin on the ball to create a curved trajectory, taking advantage of the Magnus force to deceive opponents or increase the chances of scoring. It is also used in sports like golf and cricket to control the direction and trajectory of the ball.