When does gravity take over surface tension?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of demonstrating to flat earthers that water sticks to a ball by creating a scale model of the Earth. The concept of Bond number is introduced, which is the ratio of gravitational and interfacial energies, and can help determine at which radius gravity will overcome surface tension. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a drinking straw and a formula to further explore this idea.
physnoct
I want to demonstrate to flat earthers that water does indeed stick to a ball. If we want to do a scale model of the earth, at which radius will gravity overcome the surface tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
physnoct said:
I want to demonstrate to flat earthers...

That would be a waste of time.

Likes davenn
Put a drinking straw into a glass of water and the water will rise up the straw until gravity "overcomes" surface tension.

physnoct said:
I want to demonstrate to flat earthers that water does indeed stick to a ball. If we want to do a scale model of the earth, at which radius will gravity overcome the surface tension?

The Bond number (Eotvos number) is the ratio of gravitational and interfacial energies: when the Bond number is high, gravity dominates and vice-versa. So all you need to do is write down the Bond number for your scale model and determine what the critical value of 'planetary' mass is (when Bo = 1)

Likes physnoct
CWatters said:
That would be a waste of time.
For FEers, maybe. The question itself is worth an answer, as it is an interesting physics challenge and I would like to know the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy Resnick said:
The Bond number (Eotvos number) is the ratio of gravitational and interfacial energies: when the Bond number is high, gravity dominates and vice-versa. So all you need to do is write down the Bond number for your scale model and determine what the critical value of 'planetary' mass is (when Bo = 1)
That's a good start! I'll check that. Thanks!

CWatters said:
Put a drinking straw into a glass of water and the water will rise up the straw until gravity "overcomes" surface tension.
Is there a formula that I can use?

Related to When does gravity take over surface tension?

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is the force that causes the molecules on the surface of a liquid to stick together, creating a layer of tension that keeps the liquid from spreading out.

2. How does surface tension affect objects on the surface of a liquid?

Objects on the surface of a liquid experience surface tension as an upward force, known as surface tension force. This force is what allows insects, such as water striders, to walk on water.

3. When does gravity take over surface tension?

Gravity takes over surface tension when the weight of an object on the surface of a liquid becomes greater than the surface tension force. This typically occurs with larger, heavier objects or with objects that are submerged deeper into the liquid.

4. What happens when gravity takes over surface tension?

When gravity takes over surface tension, the object on the surface of the liquid will sink. This is because the force of gravity is stronger than the force of surface tension, causing the object to break through the surface and sink into the liquid.

5. How does the shape of an object affect surface tension and gravity?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the balance between surface tension and gravity. Objects with larger surface areas will experience more surface tension force, while objects with smaller surface areas will experience less. Additionally, objects with a more streamlined shape may be able to distribute their weight more evenly on the surface of the liquid, allowing them to stay afloat even with greater gravitational force.