When Does a Projectile's Horizontal Velocity Double Its Vertical Velocity?

• Thread starter gracy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time at which the magnitude of the x component of velocity of a projectile is twice the magnitude of the y component of velocity. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations v sub x = u sub x + a sub x t and v sub y = u sin theta + (-10t), and considering both the positive and negative signs in the equation for vx. The conclusion is that there will be another point where the horizontal velocity is twice the vertical velocity due to symmetry, and the time at this point can be found by solving the equations.
gracy

Homework Statement

There is a projectile which is launched at point "o" and land at "B".It was thrown with 20m/s with angle of 53 degree.Take g=10 m/s^2 sin theta=0.8 and cos theta=0.6
Find the time at which magnitude of x component of velocity of projectile is twice the magnitude of y component of velocity.
upload_2015-4-16_16-2-5.png

Homework Equations

v sub x =u sub x +a sub x t
u sub x=initial velocity in x-direction i.e u cos theta =16 m/s
v sub x =velocity in x direction at time t.
v sub y =velocity in y direction at time t
v sub y =u sin theta +(- 10 t)

The Attempt at a Solution

v sub x=2 (u sin theta +(- 10 t)
but v sub x=u cos theta (as acceleration in x i.e horizontal direction is zero.
so,u cos theta =2 (u sin theta - 10 t)
putting given values give
t=1 sec.
But in book two answer are given
t=1 sec
and t=2.2 sec.
How I can get t=2.2 s ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually there would be two cases when horizontal velocity would be 2 times of vertical velocity as shown in your attempt.
Consider the case when projectile reaches highest point, calculate the time for it.
Then see the additional time where once again the horizontal vel. would be equal to 2 times the ver. Vel.

You have to look at the return path, so try the negative.

gracy said:

Homework Statement

There is a projectile which is launched at point "o" and land at "B".It was thrown with 20m/s with angle of 53 degree.Take g=10 m/s^2 sin theta=0.8 and cos theta=0.6
Find the time at which magnitude of x component of velocity of projectile is twice the magnitude of y component of velocity.
View attachment 82093

Homework Equations

v sub x =u sub x +a sub x t
u sub x=initial velocity in x-direction i.e u cos theta =16 m/s
v sub x =velocity in x direction at time t.
v sub y =velocity in y direction at time t
v sub y =u sin theta +(- 10 t)

The Attempt at a Solution

v sub x=2 (u sin theta +(- 10 t)
but v sub x=u cos theta (as acceleration in x i.e horizontal direction is zero.
so,u cos theta =2 (u sin theta - 10 t)
putting given values give
t=1 sec.
But in book two answer are given
t=1 sec
and t=2.2 sec.
How I can get t=2.2 s ?

Find out how much time it takes for the ball to reach the top of the parabola and start falling back to earth.

In your equation:

vx = 2[u sin (θ) ± 10t],

you picked the negative sign and worked out t. What if you then picked the positive sign and solved this equation? What value of t would you get then?

SteamKing said:
What if you then picked the positive sign
Why?acceleration due to gravity is always pointing downward and I have chosen downward direction to be negative.

gracy said:
Why?acceleration due to gravity is always pointing downward and I have chosen downward direction to be negative.
Well, then why did you write the equation with ± ? o_O

The first comment still applies. After the ball reaches its maximum height and starts falling again, there will be another point where the horizontal velocity is twice the verical velocity. :wink:

Likes gracy
SteamKing said:
Well, then why did you write the equation with ± ?
No.I have not.I was just intended to write v=u+at as a is negative,it became v=u +(-a)t

SteamKing said:
The first comment still applies. After the ball reaches its maximum height and starts falling again, there will be another point where the horizontal velocity is twice the verical velocity.
I got your point.As there is symmetry ,there will be another point where the horizontal velocity is twice the vertical velocity.Thanks .:smile:

Related to When Does a Projectile's Horizontal Velocity Double Its Vertical Velocity?

1. What is a typical projectile problem?

A typical projectile problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of an object that is moving through the air or space under the influence of gravity. The object is usually launched at an angle and its motion is affected by factors such as its initial velocity, mass, and the angle of launch.

2. What are the key equations used in solving a typical projectile problem?

The key equations used in solving a typical projectile problem are the equations of motion, which include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These equations are often represented as d = v0t + (1/2)at2, v = v0 + at, and v2 = v02 + 2ad, respectively.

3. How do you determine the maximum height and range of a projectile?

The maximum height and range of a projectile can be determined by using the equations of motion and solving for the time at which the object reaches its maximum height or returns to its initial height. The maximum height can be found by using the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at2, where t is the time at which the object reaches its maximum height. The range can be found by using the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at2, where t is the time at which the object returns to its initial height.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down the motion of a projectile and affects its trajectory. As the object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion, which causes it to slow down. This results in a shorter range and lower maximum height for the projectile.

5. What are some real-world applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as sports (e.g. throwing a ball or shooting a basketball), military and defense (e.g. launching missiles), and transportation (e.g. launching spacecraft). It is also used in physics experiments and simulations to study the effects of gravity and air resistance on the motion of objects.