When does a complex function have a simple zero on a given interval?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Markov2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation discusses the following:1) Let $a>0.$ Prove that $p(z)=z^3+3a^2z-1$ has a simple zero on $(0,1)$ and it doesn't have more real roots.2) Consider a meromorphic function $f:\mathbb C\to\mathbb C$ so that $|f(z)|\xrightarrow[|z|\to\infty]{}\infty.$ Prove that $f$ is a rational function.Attempts:1) I'd need to use Rouché's Theorem here, so I think I need to
Markov2

1) Let $a>0.$ Prove that $p(z)=z^3+3a^2z-1$ has a simple zero on $(0,1)$ and it doesn't have more real roots.

2) Consider a meromorphic function $f:\mathbb C\to\mathbb C$ so that $|f(z)|\xrightarrow[|z|\to\infty]{}\infty.$ Prove that $f$ is a rational function.

Attempts:

1) I'd need to use Rouché's Theorem here, so I think I need to split it in two cases, when $|z|=0$ and $|z|=1.$ For first case let $|p(z)-1|=|z^3+3a^2z|\le|z^3|+3a^2|z|=0\le1\le|p(z)|+1,$ since $p(z)$ and $1$ don't have zeroes for $|z|=0,$ then by Rouché's Theorem $p(z)$ has no zeros for $|z|>0.$ For $|z|=1$ let $|p(z)-3a^2z|=|z^3-1|\le 1<3a^2=3a^2|z|,$ here's my problem, I think it should be $a>1$ so $|p(z)-3a^2z|\le 3a^2|z|\le |p(z)|+3a^2|z|,$ since $p(z)$ and $3a^2z$ don't have zeroes for $|z|=1$ by Rouché's Theorem $p(z)$ has a single zero on $|z|<1.$ In conclusion $p(z)$ has only a root for $0<|z|<1$ and the zero is simple because $p'(z)=3z^2+3a^2\ne0.$

2) I think I can write $g(z)=p(z)f(z)$ where $p(z)$ is a monic polynomial whose roots are the poles of $f,$ then $g(z)$ is a entire function and has convergent Taylor series, so $g(z)=\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^\infty\frac{g^{(j)}(0)}{j!}z^j,$ so the only thing I need to prove is that $g$ is a polynomial, but I don't see how to use the info. of the limit.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Markov said:
1) Let $a>0.$ Prove that $p(z)=z^3+3a^2z-1$ has a simple zero on $(0,1)$ and it doesn't have more real roots.
You don't need anything as advanced as Rouché for this.

1. $p(0) = -1 <0$, $p(1) = 3a^2>0$: Intermediate value theorem (there is a root in $(0,1)$).

2. $p'(z) = 3z^2+3a^2>0$ for all real $z$: Rolle's theorem (there cannot be more than one real zero, or a repeated zero).

Oh, do those work for complex anyway? I didn't know it. So it was quite simple, thanks.

Could you help me with second problem please?

Can anybody check my work for 2)? Am I on the right track?

Markov said:
Can anybody check my work for 2)? Am I on the right track?
I mean, are you aware of the statement that an entire function with a pole at infinity is a polynomial?

Yes, I know that fact, you mean the solution is short?

Markov said:
Yes, I know that fact, you mean the solution is short?

You tell me, is it obvious that $fp$ has a pole at infinity?

$f_p$ ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Markov said:
$f_p$ ?

What? No. Your $g$.

$z=\infty$ is a pole of $f,$ which means that $z=0$ is a pole of $g(z)=f\left(\dfrac1z\right).$ Since the poles are isolated, exists $R>0$ so that $|z|<R,$ then $g(z)$ has no poles (except at $z=0).$ Making $z\mapsto\dfrac1z$ we have $|z|>\dfrac1R,$ then $f$ has no poles. On the other hand on $|z|\le\dfrac1R$ we have infinite poles since is compact, and if they were infinite, then we'll have an accumulation point, contradicting the fact that they are isolated. This shows that $f$ has finite poles, so we can write $g(z)=p(z)f(z),$ so I need to prove that $g$ is a polynomial.

If you see my work on post #1, then I have
$g(z)=\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^\infty\frac{g^{(j)}(0)}{j!}z^j,$ so if I can prove that $g$ is a polynomial I'm done. I was trying to use Cauchy's integral formula but I don't have a bound for $f,$ how would you prove that $g$ is a polynomial?

Opalg said:
You don't need anything as advanced as Rouché for this.

1. $p(0) = -1 <0$, $p(1) = 3a^2>0$: Intermediate value theorem (there is a root in $(0,1)$).

2. $p'(z) = 3z^2+3a^2>0$ for all real $z$: Rolle's theorem (there cannot be more than one real zero, or a repeated zero).

It happens that Descartes rule of signs shows that there is exactly one positive real root (so the one in (0,1) is the only positive root) and no negative real roots.

The positive root could in principle have multiplicity 1 or 3, but as there is no \(z^2\) term the cubic cannot be a cube of a linear term, so the root in (0,1) is of multiplicity 1.

CB

Last edited:

Related to When does a complex function have a simple zero on a given interval?

1. What is complexity theory?

Complexity theory is a scientific framework that studies how complex systems behave and evolve over time. It seeks to understand the underlying patterns and principles that govern the behavior of complex systems, such as biological organisms, social networks, and economic systems.

2. How is complexity measured?

Complexity can be measured in various ways, depending on the specific system being studied. Some common measures include the number of elements in a system, the relationships between those elements, the level of organization or hierarchy, and the amount of information or entropy within the system.

3. What are some real-world applications of complexity theory?

Complexity theory has been applied to a wide range of fields and industries, including biology, economics, sociology, computer science, and engineering. Some examples of real-world applications include understanding the behavior of financial markets, predicting the spread of diseases, and designing efficient transportation networks.

4. How does complexity theory differ from chaos theory?

Complexity theory and chaos theory are often used interchangeably, but they actually refer to different concepts. Complexity theory focuses on the patterns and principles that emerge from complex systems, while chaos theory studies the behavior of systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions, resulting in unpredictable outcomes.

5. How can complexity theory help solve real-world problems?

By studying complex systems and their underlying patterns and principles, complexity theory can provide valuable insights for solving real-world problems. It can help identify potential risks and vulnerabilities in systems, improve decision-making processes, and inform the design of more efficient and resilient systems.