When do vcm=rw and a=gsintheta/(1+I/(MR)^2) apply?

In summary, the two equations vcm=rw and a=(gsintheta)/(1+I/(MR)^2) apply for rolling without slipping, but not when there is slipping. Specifically, vcm=rw would not apply if the object is moving but not rotating, and the second equation applies to an object rolling down an inclined plane.
fangrz

Homework Statement

Do the equations below only apply for rolling without slipping?

Homework Equations

vcm=rw, a=(gsintheta)/(1+I/(MR)^2)
cm=center of mass

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know that they both apply for rolling without slipping, but do they apply when there is slipping? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider some simple examples of slipping - like a sphere sliding and not rotating at all. Does the first equation give the right answer?
I don't recognise the second equation. You'll need to describe the set up it applies to.

I see now. The equation vcm=rw would not apply if the ball was moving but not having rotational motion.

This is how I set up the equation:

Consider an object rolling down a inclined plane.

Torque=RFs
R=radius, Fs=static friction
Also,
Torque=I*alpha
I=moment of inertia
alpha=angular acceleration
This leads to Torque = I*alpha=I*(a/R)
where a=acceleration centripetal

Setting RFs=I*(a/R) gives us Fs=(I*a)/R^2

So we have Fnet=ma=gravitational force down the incline plane-force of friction
which is=(mgsintheta)-(Ia)/R^2

Solving for a and manipulating the equation gives that a=(gsintheta)/(1+(I*alpha)/MR^2)

Last edited:

Related to When do vcm=rw and a=gsintheta/(1+I/(MR)^2) apply?

1. When should the equation vcm=rw be used?

The equation vcm=rw should be used when calculating the velocity of the center of mass for a rotating object.

2. In what situations does the equation a=gsintheta/(1+I/(MR)^2) apply?

The equation a=gsintheta/(1+I/(MR)^2) applies when calculating the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, theta is the angle of the incline, I is the moment of inertia of the object, M is the mass of the object, and R is the radius of the object.

3. How do I know when to use vcm=rw and when to use a=gsintheta/(1+I/(MR)^2)?

Use vcm=rw when dealing with rotational motion and finding the velocity of the center of mass. Use a=gsintheta/(1+I/(MR)^2) when dealing with inclined planes and calculating the acceleration of an object.

4. Can these equations be used for any type of object?

Yes, these equations can be used for any type of object, as long as the necessary variables are known and the object is either rotating or moving on an inclined plane.

5. Are there any limitations to these equations?

These equations may have limitations when applied to real-world situations, as they assume ideal conditions and do not take into account factors such as friction and air resistance. They are also only applicable to objects with a single axis of rotation.