When do SO(2) actions on the circle in the plane determine a metric?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a metric on the plane and the action of SO(2) on a unit circle by rotation. It is mentioned that a free transitive action of SO(2) on a circle can be parametrized by strictly increasing functions, and the action of s on t is given by s*t = F(s+F^{-1}(t)). It is also noted that the action induced by a metric, specifically an inner product metric, is determined by two numbers - the angular inclination of the eigenvector and the ratio of the eigenvalues. If the metric is Finsler, the resulting action of SO(2) is unclear.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
a metric on the plane determines an action of SO(2) on is unit circle by rotation.

Suppose one starts with a free transitive action of SO(2) on a circle. When does this come from a metric? Always?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is a rough idea without calculations. I have not proved anything, so I might be misunderstanding something somewhere, or I might have just made a mistake in my thinking. Also, since you did not state the nature of the metric, I assumed the easiest thing which is that the metric is an inner product metric. Please clarify if you meant something more general.

Lets first consider a free transitive action of SO(2) on the circle. Both can be denoted R/2piZ.

Then we can parametrize these actions by strictly increasing functions F(s) satisfying F(0)=0, F(2pi)=2pi and whose derivative F' is periodic. Then the action of s on t is given by

[itex] s*t = F(s+F^{-1}(t)) [/itex]

Now let us consider the action induced by a metric. This is vague because I dont' know what you mean exactly by metric. So I will assume you mean an inner product metric. This is given by a quadratic form: Ax^2+2Bxy+Cy^2. I think it is clear that the resulting action of SO(2) is unchanged by scaling the coefficients of this inner product, so such actions are determined by 2 numbers. In more geometric terms, these two numbers are:
1. The angular inclination of the eigenvector that lies in the first quadrant,
2. The ratio of the eigenvalues.

If your metric is Finsler, then I don't understand it well enough to describe the resulting action of SO(2) on the circle. But I would be interested to know more about that.

Related to When do SO(2) actions on the circle in the plane determine a metric?

1. What is SO(2) action on the circle in the plane?

SO(2) action on the circle in the plane refers to the rotation of the circle in the plane around its center by a certain angle. This is a type of group action, where the elements of the group (SO(2)) act on the points of the circle to create a new configuration.

2. How does SO(2) action on the circle determine a metric?

When SO(2) actions are performed on the circle, it changes the distances between points on the circle. This change in distances can be used to define a metric, which is a mathematical concept that measures the distance between points in a space. In this case, the SO(2) action on the circle can be used to define a metric on the circle in the plane.

3. What is the significance of determining a metric using SO(2) actions on the circle in the plane?

Determining a metric using SO(2) actions on the circle in the plane is important in mathematics and physics because it allows us to study the properties of the circle in a more structured and precise way. This can help us understand the geometry and dynamics of the circle, and has applications in fields such as differential geometry and mechanics.

4. Can SO(2) actions on the circle in the plane determine multiple metrics?

Yes, SO(2) actions on the circle in the plane can determine multiple metrics. This is because there are different ways in which the rotation can change the distances between points on the circle, leading to different metric structures. These different metrics can have different properties and applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using SO(2) actions to determine a metric on the circle in the plane?

There are some limitations to using SO(2) actions to determine a metric on the circle in the plane. One limitation is that the resulting metric will only be defined on the circle in the plane and not on other shapes or spaces. Additionally, the metric may not capture all the geometric properties of the circle, as it is only determined by the rotation of the circle and not other factors such as curvature or torsion.