When do batteries drain more quickly?

• Thread starter hasankamal007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, connecting more bulbs in parallel to a battery will cause the battery to drain faster due to the increased current needed to power the additional bulbs. The voltage of the battery remains constant, but the power consumed increases with the increase in current. This is why electricity companies charge more for adding more appliances, as the power consumed also increases. The Maximum Power Transfer Theorem is a helpful concept to understand in this situation, and matching the load to the resistance of the battery can also be beneficial.
hasankamal007
Will a battery (for eg AA 1.5V) drain out faster when connected to 5 similar bulbs in parallel as compared to only 2 bulbs in parallel?

What I really want to know is that when we connect MORE bulbs parallel to a battery, does the battery have to do some extra work for managing more number of bulbs OR is it that the battery does the same work and that energy is simply distributed among the bulbs?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
as you put more bulbs in parallel, the battery has to supply more current, thus drains faster

phinds thanks for replying!
But isn't it true that current increases simply because resistance becomes less? Battery doesn't increase it's voltage, it's the resistance that decreases in parallel connection ?
I don't disagree with your answer (infact I thought that is what's true).
It's just another thought.

hasankamal007 said:
phinds thanks for replying!
But isn't it true that current increases simply because resistance becomes less? Battery doesn't increase it's voltage, it's the resistance that decreases in parallel connection ?
I don't disagree with your answer (infact I thought that is what's true).
It's just another thought.

Yes, that's correct. That's why the battery drains more quickly. Do you have some belief that it is the voltage that causes the battery to drain? If that were the case, it would drain just sitting there with no load.

Yep, that's what I thought. Can you elaborate more on this topic?

Last edited:
hasankamal007 said:
Yep, that's what I thought. Can you elaborate more on this topic?

just study Ohm's Law

So are these right?
"Adding more bulbs/resistors to a battery, makes the battery do extra work. Hence, becoming prone to drain faster."
"Voltage doesn't cause the battery to drain."
"And that's why electricity-gen companies charge us more if we keep adding more bulbs and appliances in our homes even though voltage is always 220V. (Country wise)"

You can consider that the battery voltage remains about constant while the power delivered and consumed is about P = IE...that's one way to start. If the voltage E is about constant, then anything you do that increases the current I increases the power consumed and requires more power from the supply. This ignores the resistance of the source.

Some finer points are discussed here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_power_transfer_theorem

In a practical situation you can help match load to resistance of a battery source depending on what you want to accomplish...see the above article: An AGM battery, for example, has a lot less internal resistance than a wet cell lead acid battery.

Related to When do batteries drain more quickly?

1. Why do batteries drain more quickly in cold temperatures?

Batteries rely on chemical reactions to produce electricity. In cold temperatures, these reactions occur at a slower rate, causing the battery to have a reduced capacity and drain more quickly.

2. Is it true that batteries drain faster when they are fully charged?

Yes, this is known as the "memory effect." When a battery is repeatedly charged without being fully drained, it can start to "remember" the shortened capacity and drain faster when it is charged again.

3. How does the type of device affect battery life?

The type of device and its power consumption greatly impacts battery life. Devices with larger screens, more features, and high processing power will drain a battery more quickly compared to a smaller, simpler device.

4. Can background apps drain battery life even when not in use?

Yes, background apps that are constantly running and updating can drain battery life even when not in use. It is important to close out of apps when not in use to conserve battery.

5. Does the age of a battery affect its draining time?

Yes, as batteries age, they become less efficient at holding a charge and can drain more quickly. This is a natural process and can be seen in all types of batteries.