When a polar solvent dissolves an ionic substance

In summary, when a polar solvent dissolves an ionic substance, the solvent's positive and negative ends interact with the ions to break them apart and surround them, creating a solution. This process, known as dissociation, allows the ions to freely move in the solvent, making the solution conductive and facilitating chemical reactions. The strength of the polar solvent's dipole moments and its ability to pull apart the ions determine the solubility and rate of dissolution of the ionic substance. Overall, the interaction between polar solvents and ionic substances plays a crucial role in various industrial, biological, and environmental processes.
AngelShare
I can't find the answers to these two questions...could someone help me?

Describe the process when a polar solvent dissolves an ionic substance.

Why would SO2 go down in solubility when temperature increases?

And while I'm thinking of it...my brother brought home his science book and, upon reading over it to help him with his work, I was reminded of just how much better having a textbook is. My Dad is looking into getting one from my public school for me to borrow but I don't think he's going to get one. If he can't, I was going to look into buying one. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only site I've found thus far (I haven't gotten to look around much...I've got homework out the butt to do.) is this one http://www.academicbookservices.com/SearchResults.aspx?ISBN=&Title=&Copyright=05&Publisher=ALL&Category=CHEM&GoToPage=1" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) is a gas,
when a gas is dissolved in a liquid, its solubility greatly depends on temperature (and pressure). For example, the carbon dioxide gas dissolved in soda, the drink will stay carbonated a lot loonger in the refrigerator than sitting in the hot sun.

I didn't even know a gas could be dissolved in a liquid...:redface:

How do you read those types of things? I had no clue what SO2 was...what's KNO3 (The three is under the O, not above.)? Could someone tell me how?:smile:

"Cyberschool?" (from your profile) No textbook?

PM me with the title of the class, a description of the resources you (or your parents) are buying, and any public links to the site, and you get a couple "freebies" --- no remarks about "show us some effort."

"Describe the process when a polar solvent dissolves an ionic substance. "

A polar solvent is any solvent with a permanent dipole moment. Water, alcohols, methylene chloride, acetonitrile, the list goes on and on for nearly ever, and the interaction of an electric dipole with the electric field around a charged particle, the ion, be it cation or anion, releases energy.

Some solvents, water for instance, can exhibit additional interactions through hydrogen bonding: not only are the non-bonding electron pairs on the oxygen atom attracted more strongly to cations than the hydrogens on the water molecule, aligning the water dipole in an O to the cation - H s away from cation direction, but the attraction to the cation allows the orbitals to delocalize the bonding electrons between the O and H in the water molecule, polarizing the O-H bonds further; for small cations, this polarization is sufficient to promote dipole orientation of a second, and sometimes third or more, layer of water molecules about the cations. This behavior is not seen for most anions; fluoride can enhance H-bonding, structure making, but as a rule, there is no permanent shell of water dipoles oriented around anions.

"Why would SO2 go down in solubility when temperature increases?"

I was offline typing this, and get back, and see your response to Mr. J.'s hint ---- am I speaking "greek" to you on the first question?

Yep, cyber school, no textbooks. I miss 'em.:frown:

Anyways, I don't know what a dipole is...whatever that is hasn't been mentioned yet.

Last edited:
a year later... I am on that same exact same question in virtural school. (florida)
Module 3 Lesson 9 of Chemistry I V6

Try going to Wikipedia and searching for the topic "Solvation". It is a pretty good description of what is going on...

For the gas solubility question, try searching using the phrase "gas solubility temperature dependence". Hint: The ".edu" sites are great places for an .EDUcation!

Why are you in "cyberschool"?

AngelShare said:

And while I'm thinking of it...my brother brought home his science book and, upon reading over it to help him with his work, I was reminded of just how much better having a textbook is. My Dad is looking into getting one from my public school for me to borrow but I don't think he's going to get one. If he can't, I was going to look into buying one. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only site I've found thus far (I haven't gotten to look around much...I've got homework out the butt to do.) is this one http://www.academicbookservices.com/SearchResults.aspx?ISBN=&Title=&Copyright=05&Publisher=ALL&Category=CHEM&GoToPage=1" .

AngelShare said:

Bystander has mentioned the arrangement of water molecules around the cations...you should refer to a standard inorganic text which explains the quantum nature of such interactions and while you're at it you may also want to read upon the explanation of what makes up hydrogen bonding (pertaining to the corresponding method of explanation). This step in the whole dissolution process is hydration.

Your instructor is probably looking for an explanation in terms of Hess' principle (law)...what are the steps in the dissolution of an ionic compound into, say water for example?

Hint: The first step involves the lattice energy of the ionic compound

AngelShare said:

I don't understand this either...I am home schooled as well, I need an answer to this question that is simple and sweet...Please help thanks :)

Related to When a polar solvent dissolves an ionic substance

1. How does a polar solvent dissolve an ionic substance?

A polar solvent dissolves an ionic substance by breaking apart the ions and surrounding them with its polar molecules. The positive and negative ends of the polar solvent molecules attract the opposite charges of the ions, causing them to separate and dissolve.

2. What types of polar solvents can dissolve ionic substances?

Common polar solvents that can dissolve ionic substances include water, alcohols, and ammonia. These solvents have polar molecules with positive and negative ends, allowing them to interact with the ions in the ionic substance.

3. Can nonpolar solvents dissolve ionic substances?

No, nonpolar solvents cannot dissolve ionic substances. Nonpolar solvents do not have charged ends and cannot interact with the ions in the ionic substance to separate and dissolve them.

4. How does the strength of the solute-solvent interactions affect the dissolution of an ionic substance?

The stronger the solute-solvent interactions, the easier it is for the polar solvent to dissolve the ionic substance. When the solute-solvent interactions are strong, the ions are more effectively surrounded and separated by the polar solvent molecules.

5. What is the role of temperature in the dissolution of an ionic substance in a polar solvent?

Temperature can affect the dissolution of an ionic substance in a polar solvent. Generally, higher temperatures increase the solubility of the ionic substance, as the molecules have more energy to break apart and move around in the solution. However, this may not always be the case, as some ionic substances have a maximum solubility at a certain temperature and may become less soluble at higher temperatures.