Whats the point of a function being orthogonal?

In summary, a function is orthogonal if the inner product of any two functions of an infinite series equal to zero. This makes it easy to find the components, as long as the basis vectors are orthogonal.
Engineerbrah
I understand that a function is orthogonal if the inner product of any two functions of an infinite series equal to zero.

My question is why do we prove functions are orthogonal? What can we do with this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on the topic, there are many applications. Quantum mechanics relies heavily on orthogonal functions, for example, but many fields do that.

mfb said:
That depends on the topic, there are many applications. Quantum mechanics relies heavily on orthogonal functions, for example, but many fields do that.

Well I did post this in the maths section. Could you elaborate particularly what the point of orthogonality of Fourier series and Sturm-Liouville problems implies?

For a Fourier series you calculate the coefficients using the fact that the basis functions are orthogonal.

Engineerbrah said:
I understand that a function is orthogonal if the inner product of any two functions of an infinite series equal to zero.

My question is why do we prove functions are orthogonal? What can we do with this information?

Two vectors are orthogonal if their inner product vanishes.

Why do we care about basis vectors being orthogonal? It makes it trivial to find the components: if [itex]\{e_1, \dots, e_n\}[/itex] are orthogonal then [tex]
v = \sum_{k = 1}^n \frac{\langle v, e_k \rangle}{\langle e_k, e_k \rangle}e_k.[/tex] If the basis vectors were not orthogonal it would be necessary to solve a system of [itex]n[/itex] simultaneous equations to find the components.

Functions in this context are vectors, with the complication that the dimension of the space is infinite. Do you want to have to solve a countably infinite system of simultaneous equations to find the components with respect to some basis?

Likes Engineerbrah
pasmith said:
Two vectors are orthogonal if their inner product vanishes.

Why do we care about basis vectors being orthogonal? It makes it trivial to find the components: if [itex]\{e_1, \dots, e_n\}[/itex] are orthogonal then [tex]
v = \sum_{k = 1}^n \frac{\langle v, e_k \rangle}{\langle e_k, e_k \rangle}e_k.[/tex] If the basis vectors were not orthogonal it would be necessary to solve a system of [itex]n[/itex] simultaneous equations to find the components.

Functions in this context are vectors, with the complication that the dimension of the space is infinite. Do you want to have to solve a countably infinite system of simultaneous equations to find the components with respect to some basis?

Yes! Thank you. This is the answer I was looking for.

Related to Whats the point of a function being orthogonal?

1. What does it mean for a function to be orthogonal?

When a function is orthogonal, it means that it is perpendicular to another function or set of functions. In other words, the inner product of two orthogonal functions is equal to 0.

2. Why is orthogonality important in mathematics?

Orthogonality is important in mathematics because it allows us to simplify complex problems and make them more manageable. It also allows us to break down a problem into smaller, independent parts, making it easier to solve.

3. How is orthogonality used in real-world applications?

Orthogonality is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including signal processing, image compression, and data analysis. It is also used in physics and engineering to describe and analyze physical phenomena.

4. What is the difference between orthogonal and orthonormal?

While both terms refer to the relationship between two functions, orthogonal functions are perpendicular to each other, while orthonormal functions are both perpendicular and have a magnitude of 1. In other words, orthonormal functions are a special case of orthogonal functions.

5. How can I determine if two functions are orthogonal?

To determine if two functions are orthogonal, you can calculate the inner product of the two functions and see if it equals 0. If it does, then the functions are orthogonal. You can also use the Gram-Schmidt process to orthogonalize a set of functions.