What's the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the particle?

In summary, the conversation involves a request for help with two physics problems. The first problem involves a charged particle moving through a magnetic field and determining the magnetic force and charge. The second problem involves using Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field at a certain distance from two wires with different currents. Hints and guidance are given to help solve the problems.
lonelygirl
hey physics experts could you help me out with these two problems please?

1/ A positively charged particle of mass 5 x 10^-5 kg is traveling due east with a speed of 80 m/s and enters 0.3 T uniform magnetic field. The particle moves through one quarter of a circle in a time of 2 x 10^-2s, at which time it leaves the field heading due south. All during the motion the particle moves perpendicular to the magnetic field.
a) What's the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the particle?
b) Determine the magnitude of its charge.

2/ The wire in the figure carries a current of 10A. Suppose that a second long, straight wire is placed right next to this wire. The current in the secon dwire is 25A. use Ampere's law to find the magnitude of the magnetic field at a distance of r = 0.7 m from the wires when teh currents are
a) in the same direction and
b) in the opposite direction

appreciate a lot for your help ;-)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lonelygirl, could you please tell us what work you've done so far. We can't help you until you post some of your own thoughts on the problem.

i have no idea how to start it could please give some hints :-(

thanks

Ok, question one asks about the magnetic force, so do you know how to find the magnetic force on a charged particle? Hint: look for the Lorentz force. Also, what do you know about the way particles move when they are in a magnetic field?

For question 2, you are told to use Ampere's law, so what is Ampere's Law? Have you used Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field of a long straight wire before? How is the situation modified if you have another wire? Hint: think about the superposition principle.

Hope this helps.

Lorentz force = Electric force + Magnetic force right?

Can you do me the first step please? i know its concept but still didn't get it :(

I can't do the step for you, and it wouldn't help you anyway. I will try to guid you to the answer. Since the electric field is zero, there is only a magnetic force. Can you tell me what you need to know to figure out what the magnetic force is? Hint: there are three ingredients you need to find the magnetic force.

Related to What's the magnitude of the magnetic force acting on the particle?

1. What is the definition of magnetic force?

The magnetic force is a type of non-contact force that is exerted by a magnetic field on a charged particle or a current-carrying wire.

2. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of magnetic force?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of magnetic force is F = qvBsinθ, where q is the magnitude of the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the magnetic field.

3. How does the magnitude of magnetic force change with the strength of the magnetic field?

The magnitude of magnetic force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the strength of the magnetic field increases, the magnitude of the force also increases.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic force change with the orientation of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic force is always perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that the direction of the force changes as the orientation of the magnetic field changes.

5. How can the magnitude of magnetic force be used in practical applications?

The magnitude of magnetic force is used in various applications, such as electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines and in particle accelerators for scientific research.