What's the indefinite integral?

In summary, the integral of sin(pi x) is equal to (1/pi) -cos(pi x) dx. It is important to use the chain rule when taking the derivative of cos(pi x). To integrate sin(pi x) dx, consider using a substitution of u = pi x and substituting in the appropriate expression for dx in terms of du.
afcwestwarrior
of sin pi x dx

i thought it would be - cos pi x dx but i think it might be (1/pi) -cos pi x dx

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int \sin (\pi x)\, \mathrm{d}x =\frac{1}{\pi} \int \sin (\pi x) \, \mathrm{d} (\pi x)[/tex]

Does this help?

yea a lot thanks, i guessed right but i didn't know if i was right

just wondering why is it 1/pi, I'm not even sure why

What is the derivative of cos(pi x)?

it's - sin (pi x)

To integrate [tex] sin( \pi x) dx [/tex] consider doing a substitution of [tex] u = \pi x [/tex] then substitute in the appropriate expression of dx in terms of du.

afcwestwarrior said:
it's - sin (pi x)
Well, there is you problem then: it isn't. Use the chain rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What's the indefinite integral?

What's the indefinite integral?

The indefinite integral, also known as the antiderivative, is a mathematical concept that represents the reverse process of differentiation. It is used to find the original function when given its derivative.

How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have upper and lower limits, so it represents a family of functions rather than a single value. A definite integral, on the other hand, has specific limits and represents a single value.

What are the different methods for finding an indefinite integral?

The most common methods for finding an indefinite integral are the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. Other methods include partial fractions, trigonometric identities, and logarithmic differentiation.

Why is the constant of integration necessary in an indefinite integral?

The constant of integration is necessary because when we take the derivative of a constant, it becomes 0. Therefore, when we find an indefinite integral, we add the constant to represent all possible solutions that could have been differentiated to get the given function.

How is the indefinite integral related to area under a curve?

The indefinite integral can be used to find the area under a curve between two points on a graph. This is known as the definite integral. The area under the curve is represented by the definite integral of the function between the two given points.