What's the difference in resistance between A and B vs A and C?

In summary: R + R} = \frac{1}{3R}$Top part of the circuit is in series with bottom... $2R + 3R = 5R$$R_{eq} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{5R} + \frac{1}{3R}} \implies R_{eq} = \frac{15}{8R}$Then the resistance between A and B would be:$R_{AB} = R_{eq} + R = \frac{15}{8R} + 2R = \frac{31}{8R}$In summary, the resistance between A and B is $\frac{31}{8R
MermaidWonders
View attachment 7919

I tried redrawing the above circuit so that it resembles more like the circuit diagrams we see from day to day. However, what confused me was when it asks for the resistance measured between A and B versus between A and C What's the difference between those two, and how would the calculations differ in each case?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 18.51.43.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 18.51.43.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
MermaidWonders said:
I tried redrawing the above circuit so that it resembles more like the circuit diagrams we see from day to day. However, what confused was when it asks for the resistance measured between A and B versus between A and C? What's the difference between those two, and how would the calculations differ in each case?

As for part (a), I tried to find the ${R}_{eq}$ of the entire circuit since I thought you must go through the whole circuit before arriving at B from A, but I don't think that that would get me the answer. :( Now, I'm even more confused... :(

Last edited:
2nd question:

View attachment 7920

I know this question's kinda lame, but it's just that when I tried to solve it, I couldn't get the right answer. (I got 3.375 $\times$ $10^{-9}$ A.) :(
(Answer = 1.5 mA)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 21.10.15.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 21.10.15.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 57
MermaidWonders said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7919

I tried redrawing the above circuit so that it resembles more like the circuit diagrams we see from day to day. However, what confused was when it asks for the resistance measured between A and B versus between A and C? What's the difference between those two, and how would the calculations differ in each case?

Hi MermaidWonders! ;)

To find the resistance between A and B, we can rearrange the circuit as:
\begin{tikzpicture}
%preamble \usepackage{circuitikz}
\draw[color=black, thick]
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to (2,1) to [R, -*] (4,1) to [R] (6,1) to (6,0) to [R, -*] (8,0) node
{B}
(2,0) to (2,-1) to [R] (6,-1) to (6,0);
\end{tikzpicture}

Can you merge the resistors in series together?
And calculate the resitance of parallel resistors?

For the resistance between A and C we need:
\begin{tikzpicture}
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to (2,-1) to [R] (4,-1) to [R] (6,-1) to (6,0) to [short, -*] (7,0) node
{C}
(2,0) to (2,1) to [R] (6,1) to (6,0)
(4,-1) to [R, -*] (4, -3) node[below] {B} ;
\end{tikzpicture}
The resistor to B is a 'loose end' here, which does not participate.
Can you find the resistance between A and C?​

Thanks for your reply! As for this question, I got the same re-drawn circuit diagram as the one you have here for part (a), but I'm totally lost as to how you got part (b) in order to get the resistance for part (b). Can you please explain?

MermaidWonders said:
Thanks for your reply! As for this question, I got the same re-drawn circuit diagram as the one you have here for part (a), but I'm totally lost as to how you got part (b) in order to get the resistance for part (b). Can you please explain?

Just by deforming the circuit.
An intermediate step is:
\begin{tikzpicture}
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to [R] (4,-2) to [R, -*] (6,0) node
{C}
(2,0) to [R] (6,0)
(4,-2) to [R, -*] (2, -3) node[below] {B} ;
\end{tikzpicture}
And I've separated C a bit with a separate connection, which is equivalent, since it behaves like a 'short'.​

I like Serena said:
Hi MermaidWonders! ;)

To find the resistance between A and B, we can rearrange the circuit as:
\begin{tikzpicture}
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to (2,1) to [R, -*] (4,1) to [R] (6,1) to (6,0) to [R, -*] (8,0) node
{B}
(2,0) to (2,-1) to [R] (6,-1) to (6,0);
\end{tikzpicture}

Can you merge the resistors in series together?
And calculate the resitance of parallel resistors?

For the resistance between A and C we need:
\begin{tikzpicture}
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to (2,-1) to [R] (4,-1) to [R] (6,-1) to (6,0) to [short, -*] (7,0) node
{C}
(2,0) to (2,1) to [R] (6,1) to (6,0)
(4,-1) to [R, -*] (4, -3) node[below] {B} ;
\end{tikzpicture}
The resistor to B is a 'loose end' here, which does not participate.
Can you find the resistance between A and C?​

Is the resistance between A and B equal to $\frac{7}{2R}$?​

MermaidWonders said:
Is the resistance between A and B equal to $\frac{7}{2R}$?

Not according to my calculations.
How did you get that?

I like Serena said:
Not according to my calculations.
How did you get that?

Oops, I just realized that I messed up... Let's try again.

Top 2 resistors of parallel portion of the circuit are in series with each other $\implies$ $R = R + R = 2R$

Bottom resistor of parallel portion of the circuit in parallel with top 2 resistors $\implies$ $\frac{1}{{R}_{eq}}$ = $\frac{1}{2R}$ + $\frac{1}{R}$ = $\frac{3}{2R}$ $\implies$ $\therefore$, ${R}_{eq}$ = $\frac{2R}{3}$

Now, this ${R}_{eq}$ will be in series with the remaining resistors $\implies$ ${R}_{total}$ = $\frac{8R}{3}$?

- - - Updated - - -

I like Serena said:
Just by deforming the circuit.
An intermediate step is:
\begin{tikzpicture}
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to [R] (4,-2) to [R, -*] (6,0) node
{C}
(2,0) to [R] (6,0)
(4,-2) to [R, -*] (2, -3) node[below] {B} ;
\end{tikzpicture}
And I've separated C a bit with a separate connection, which is equivalent, since it behaves like a 'short'.​

Oh, I see. Now, with this new diagram, how would one go about solving for the resistance between A and C?

P.S.: What's a 'short'? Do you mean the extra connection to C? If so, how come the 'short' won't affect C?​

MermaidWonders said:
Oops, I just realized that I messed up... Let's try again.

Top 2 resistors of parallel portion of the circuit are in series with each other $\implies$ $R = R + R = 2R$

Bottom resistor of parallel portion of the circuit in parallel with top 2 resistors $\implies$ $\frac{1}{{R}_{eq}}$ = $\frac{1}{2R}$ + $\frac{1}{R}$ = $\frac{3}{2R}$ $\implies$ $\therefore$, ${R}_{eq}$ = $\frac{2R}{3}$

Now, this ${R}_{eq}$ will be in series with the remaining resistors $\implies$ ${R}_{total}$ = $\frac{8R}{3}$?

Yep. That's correct. (Nod)

MermaidWonders said:
Oh, I see. Now, with this new diagram, how would one go about solving for the resistance between A and C?

P.S.: What's a 'short'? Do you mean the extra connection to C? If so, how come the 'short' won't affect C?

Just leave out the resistor to B and do the same thing:
\begin{tikzpicture}
(0,0) node
{A} to [R, *-] (2,0) to (2,-1) to [R, -o] (4,-1) to [R] (6,-1) to (6,0) to [short, -*] (7,0) node
{C}
(2,0) to (2,1) to [R] (6,1) to (6,0);
\end{tikzpicture}
A 'short' means 'short circuit', which is a connection between 2 points with no (or negligible) resistance.
If that's an unintended connection, we'll get a bad result.
But in this case it's only to clarify the circuit, without actually making a connection to any other point in the diagram.
As such it has no impact whatsoever on the result.​

What happened to B now? Why is it gone?

MermaidWonders said:
What happened to B now? Why is it gone?

Since B is an open ended connection, no current can flow through B.
Therefore the resistor to B can be left out without changing the resistance between A and C.
And now we can calculate that resistance...

I like Serena said:
Since B is an open ended connection, no current can flow through B.
Therefore the resistor to B can be left out without changing the resistance between A and C.
And now we can calculate that resistance...

OK... So, to sum up, you would need 2 different circuit diagrams to refer to depending on whether you need the resistance between A and B or A and C, right, and for each case, you must alter the diagram such that you'll end up being able to calculate the equivalent resistance as you would for any circuit?

MermaidWonders said:
OK... So, to sum up, you would need 2 different circuit diagrams to refer to depending on whether you need the resistance between A and B or A and C, right, and for each case, you must alter the diagram such that you'll end up being able to calculate the equivalent resistance as you would for any circuit?

Yep. (Nod)

OK, thanks! :)

Oh, and about the second part... (Wait)

We know now that the resistance between A and B is $R_{AB}=\frac 83R$ with $R=1\text{ k}\Omega$ and $V=6\text{ V}$.
So the total current is:
$$I_{total}=\frac V{R_{AB}}=\frac {6\text{ V}}{\frac 83\cdot 1\text{ k}\Omega} = 2.25 \text{ mA}$$
Since the current is split between 1R along the vertical branch and 2R along the branch through C, it follows that $\frac 23$ of the current must flow through the vertical branch, which is:
$$I_{vertical} = \frac 23 \times 2.25 = 1.5\text{ mA}$$

I now understand where I went wrong in question #37. I didn't use $\frac{8R}{3}$ as the equivalent resistance since I messed up in the beginning... I finally got the right answer, although I do agree that your reasoning about the currents is much faster :) Many thanks again!

Related to What's the difference in resistance between A and B vs A and C?

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop or path through which electricity can flow. It typically includes a power source, such as a battery or outlet, and various components such as wires, resistors, and switches.

2. How do I calculate the voltage in an electric circuit?

To calculate voltage in an electric circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). In other words, V = I x R.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the current flows through each component in turn. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, so the current is divided between them. Additionally, in a series circuit, the voltage is divided between each component, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each component.

4. How do I troubleshoot problems with an electric circuit?

If an electric circuit is not functioning properly, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the issue. First, check that all components are connected correctly and that there are no loose or damaged wires. Then, use a multimeter to check for continuity and voltage at different points in the circuit. If you are still unable to identify the problem, it may be necessary to replace or repair the faulty component.

5. Can I use different types of batteries in the same electric circuit?

It is not recommended to mix different types of batteries in the same electric circuit. This is because different types of batteries have different voltages and capacities, which can lead to imbalances and potentially damage the components in the circuit. It is best to use batteries of the same type and brand when building an electric circuit.