What's an electron doing between interactions?

In summary, an electron constantly flips between two quantum spin states, with one state requiring more energy than the other. This energy is gained and lost through interaction with the Higgs field, which gives the electron its mass. The default behavior of particles is to travel at the speed of light, but interaction with the Higgs field allows for other speeds. The question of what happens in between spin flips is not answered by quantum mechanics, as it is a theory about observations in a classical world. Astrophysicist Matthew O'Dowd has popularized this explanation, but it is seen as a metaphor for the superposition of spin states. There is an energetic interaction between the superposed electron state and the Higgs field, which contributes to the
newjerseyrunner
I know an electron is constantly flipping between two quantum spin states. I know that one spin takes slightly more energy than the other and it gets and drops this energy into and from the Higgs field, which gives it mass. The default behavior of all particles is to travel at the speed of light, only interaction with the Higgs field causes any other speed.

So here's my question, if the interaction with the Higgs field is what's causing the spin flips, what's going on in between? Is the electron not interacting with the Higgs field during that time? If not, is it traveling at the speed of light and doing momentary pauses during interaction which causes a statistical velocity of less than c?

Or is the question completely non-sensical since it's in a superposition of all possible paths?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain that with a mathematical model?

newjerseyrunner said:
I know an electron is constantly flipping between two quantum spin states.

That's wrong.

What's going on between observations QM is silent about.

QM is a theory about observations that appear in a common-sense classical world that exists independent of conciousness, observers etc - basically free of all the junk you read in pop-sci accounts. Anything beyond that the theory says nothing - although interpretations have various takes.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
newjerseyrunner said:
I know an electron is constantly flipping between two quantum spin states. I know that one spin takes slightly more energy than the other and it gets and drops this energy into and from the Higgs field, which gives it mass. The default behavior of all particles is to travel at the speed of light, only interaction with the Higgs field causes any other speed.
I've never seen this explained that way. Can I ask where it came from?

Feeble Wonk said:
I've never seen this explained that way. Can I ask where it came from?
It came from astrophycistist Matthew O’Dowd

Fascinating. I'm curious about how this narration is received by the "orthodox" physicists here. They frequently don't care much for the popularizations of these subjects for us laypeople. Any opinions from the smart table?

I think this "spin flipping back and forth" thing is a metaphor for quantum superposition of the two spin states.

Likes QuantumQuest
jtbell said:
I think this "spin flipping back and forth" thing is a metaphor for quantum superposition of the two spin states.
But there is apparently an "energetic" interaction between the superposed electron state and the Higgs field that has something to do with asymmetry in spin chirality. Would you care to offer a dumbed down explanation of that?

I watched a lecture from Nima Arkani that sort of explained why we have spin 2 massless particles.

The explanation was that because mass-less articles travel at the speed of light, they can only spin in two directions, "frontwards" and "backwards", because everything in between would mean that it would have to be going slower then light to have such a spin state (In other words it would have a mass). His example was as follows :

If you were to travel along with this mass-less particle as it goes at the speed of light, you wouldn't be able to see it in any other state, because if you were to see it spinning in any other direction, it would imply FTL travel.

I may be butchering what he said, so if i find the lecture in question that I'm referring to i'll link it here so that there's no confusion.
EDIT: I believe this is the video. at 18:56 He begins talking about what i just spoke of

Last edited:

Related to What's an electron doing between interactions?

What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge. It is one of the fundamental particles that make up an atom.

What does an electron do between interactions?

Between interactions, an electron continues to orbit the nucleus of an atom. It also possesses properties of both a particle and a wave, and may exhibit behaviors such as interference and diffraction.

Why is it important to understand what an electron is doing between interactions?

Understanding what an electron is doing between interactions is crucial in many areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and electronics. It helps us better understand the behavior and properties of matter and can also lead to technological advancements.

How do scientists study what an electron is doing between interactions?

Scientists use various methods, such as spectroscopy and electron microscopy, to study the behavior of electrons between interactions. These techniques allow us to observe and measure the movements and properties of electrons at the atomic level.

Can we control what an electron is doing between interactions?

Yes, in certain situations, we can control the behavior of electrons between interactions. This is the basis of many technologies, such as transistors and semiconductors, which rely on manipulating the movement of electrons to perform specific tasks.