What z makes this converge

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of z that makes the given series converge. It is determined that the inequality $|z|<|z+1|$ must be solved, which is equivalent to $x^2+y^2<(x+1)^2+y^2$. By substituting $z=x+iy$, it is simplified to $|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$. After realizing that the square root was omitted, the conversation continues with solving the inequality.
Dustinsfl
$\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z}{z+1}\right)^n$$z\in\mathbb{C}$

By the ratio test,

$\displaystyle\left|\frac{z}{z+1}\right|<1$

I am stuck at this part. How do I find the z such that some is convergence?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{z}{z+1}\right)^n$$z\in\mathbb{C}$

By the ratio test,

$\displaystyle\left|\frac{z}{z+1}\right|<1$

I am stuck at this part. How do I find the z such that some is convergence?
You solve that inequality..surely you can do that, no?

AlexYoucis said:
You solve that inequality..surely you can do that, no?

Apparently I can't because I keep getting it wrong.

dwsmith said:
Apparently I can't because I keep getting it wrong.

Ok, so we need to solve $|z|<|z+1|$ or $x^2+y^2<(x+1)^2+y^2$ or $x^2<(x+1)^2$ or $x>\frac{-1}{2}$.

AlexYoucis said:
Ok, so we need to solve $|z|<|z+1|$ or $x^2+y^2<(x+1)^2+y^2$ or $x^2<(x+1)^2$ or $x>\frac{-1}{2}$.

How did you go from this $|z|<|z+1|$ to this $x^2+y^2<(x+1)^2+y^2$??

dwsmith said:
How did you go from this $|z|<|z+1|$ to this $x^2+y^2<(x+1)^2+y^2$??

Let $z=x+iy$.

AlexYoucis said:
Let $z=x+iy$.

I did but I don't see what happened to all the i's.

dwsmith said:
I did but I don't see what happened to all the i's.

If $z=x+iy$ then $|z|=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}$.

Last edited:
AlexYoucis said:
If $z=x+iy$ then $|z|=x^2+y^2$.

Shouldn't it be square rooted?

dwsmith said:
Shouldn't it be square rooted?

Yes, it should have been, and then I proceeded from there. Do you see how?

P.S. Sorry if I sound terse, I'm just busy doing other things!

Related to What z makes this converge

1. What is the significance of "z" in determining convergence?

The letter "z" is commonly used in mathematics to represent a complex number, which consists of a real part and an imaginary part. In the context of determining convergence, z represents a variable that can take on different values that affect the behavior of a given sequence or series. By varying the value of z, we can observe how the sequence or series converges or diverges.

2. How does the value of "z" affect the convergence of a series?

The value of z can greatly impact the convergence of a series. For example, if the value of z is within the radius of convergence of a power series, the series will converge. However, if the value of z is outside the radius of convergence, the series will diverge. Additionally, the value of z can also affect the rate of convergence, with certain values leading to faster or slower convergence.

3. Can changing the value of "z" change the convergence behavior of a series?

Yes, changing the value of z can significantly alter the convergence behavior of a series. For instance, a series that initially converges for a certain value of z may diverge for another value of z. This is why it is crucial to understand the role of z in determining convergence and to carefully choose its value when analyzing a series.

4. How do we determine the convergence of a series for a specific value of "z"?

To determine the convergence of a series for a specific value of z, we can use various tests such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, or Alternating Series Test. These tests help us determine if the series converges or diverges for a given value of z. It is important to note that these tests may not always provide a definitive answer, and further analysis may be required.

5. Is "z" the only factor that affects convergence?

No, there are other factors that can impact the convergence of a series, such as the form of the series and the magnitude of the terms. Additionally, the presence of other variables or parameters in the series may also affect its convergence behavior. It is essential to consider all these factors when determining the convergence of a series for a specific value of z.