What would things look like if PI = 3.

• B
  • Thread starter phillovix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pi being equal to 3 instead of 3.14 and the potential differences in reality. However, the question is deemed meaningless as pi is a constant and the ratio of circumference to diameter may vary in different contexts. The conversation ends with the discussion being concluded as pointless.
phillovix
Hey there!

I found myself being rather curious as to what a reality would look like where PI to equal 3, instead of 3.14...

Uploaded a picture, was wondering if anyone able to get their head around it is also able to draw or explain the key differences.

Thanks!
<3

Attachments

• gasevthn.jpg
    gasevthn.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
phillovix said:
I found myself being rather curious as to what a reality would look like where PI to equal 3, instead of 3.14...
Well, if the laws of math and physics did not apply, it's real hard to say WHAT things would look like, but basically, I think your question doesn't make any sense.

The question is meaningless. It is like asking what the world would look like if 1=2 or if white was black.

The question becomes meaningful if you consider pi as just the circumference/diameter ratio

silvanp2000 said:
The question becomes meaningful if you consider pi as just the circumference/diameter ratio
No it doesn't. In curved spaces, this ratio is generally dependent on the radius and position and not a constant. In the limit of small radii, the ratio becomes pi on all smooth Riemannian manifolds.

There is no point in discussing this.

Thread closed.

Likes Orodruin

Related to What would things look like if PI = 3.

1. What is PI?

PI is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is approximately equal to 3.14159.

2. Why is PI important?

PI is important because it is used in many mathematical and scientific calculations, such as finding the area and circumference of circles, calculating the volume of spheres, and solving trigonometric functions.

3. What would things look like if PI = 3?

If PI were equal to 3, it would mean that the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter is exactly 3. This would change the dimensions and proportions of many objects and shapes, making them appear wider and shorter than they currently do.

4. Is it possible for PI to equal 3?

No, it is not possible for PI to equal 3. PI is an irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a simple fraction and has an infinite number of decimal places. Therefore, it is always an approximation and can never be exactly equal to 3.

5. How is PI calculated?

PI is calculated using various methods, such as the infinite series formula, the Monte Carlo method, and the Chudnovsky algorithm. However, the most common method is the geometric method, which involves measuring the circumference and diameter of a circle and dividing the two values.