What would mixing different radioactive materials do?

In summary, if one were to throw together a variety of radioactive materials, the interactions between them would be based on the chemical properties of the elements.
COWilliam
If I was to throw together I variety of radioactive materials into a pot, what would be the interaction between the different materials? If I threw together Barium and Polonium, what would happen? What if I added Cesium, Europium, and Strontium to the mix? What about throwing in Uranium? Will anything happen besides our giant blob of radioactive soup becoming more radioactive?

Engineering news on Phys.org
COWilliam said:
If I was to throw together I variety of radioactive materials into a pot, what would be the interaction between the different materials? If I threw together Barium and Polonium, what would happen? What if I added Cesium, Europium, and Strontium to the mix? What about throwing in Uranium? Will anything happen besides our giant blob of radioactive soup becoming more radioactive?
One would have to look at the chemical properties of the elements.

Barium, cesium, europium and strontium, all have stable isotopes, but I think one is referring to the radioactive isotopes.

Polonium is chemically similar to tellurium or selenium, and strontium and barium form tellurides, SrTe and BaTe, so one would expect that Ba and Po would form barium polonide. Tellurides and selenides form semiconductors.

I'm not sure why one would to simply at Cs, Eu and Sr to a mix.

Likes COWilliam
COWilliam said:
If I was to throw together I variety of radioactive materials into a pot, what would be the interaction between the different materials?

There will be just normal chemical interactions, nothing "nuclear" (unless you drop in fissile isotopes and form a critical mass). Each radioactive isotope will continue to decay as it was doing it alone.

Likes COWilliam
COWilliam said:
...Barium and Polonium... Cesium, Europium, and Strontium ...Uranium...
Quite a Hot Pot, but I would not sit to that table, that's for sure...

Likes COWilliam
I was wondering about chemical reactions specifically.

Radioactivity is completely independent of temperature, pressure and/or chemical changes. But chemical reactions are not. So any chemical changes to the mixture would be dependent on the chemical nature of what was added and in what concentration and at what temperature, pressure, humidity, etc. All radioactivity would remain constant.

But if you're just throwing a bunch of random radioactive elements in a bowl to see what happens one might argue you should be more concerned about your own sanity than what might actually happen in the bowl. :)

Likes COWilliam
I'm just at the edge of my depth here, so my wording may be a little sloppy.

The OP is interested in chemical interactions of lanthanides and actinides.
These elements are so massive, their electron shells are relatively undifferentiated, so physical and chemical properties are all relatively similar. They're chemically hard to separate from each other and so they're often considered simply as a set (i.e. "the lanthanides").

They might weakly combine chemically, but the bulk materials don't really have any interesting properties. All the really interesting chemistry happens with light molecules that have strong chemical interactions.

Likes COWilliam

Related to What would mixing different radioactive materials do?

1. What would happen if I mixed two different types of radioactive materials together?

Mixing two different types of radioactive materials together can have unpredictable and potentially dangerous consequences. The resulting reaction can produce new, more radioactive elements or cause the materials to release even more radiation. This can lead to increased health risks and environmental contamination.

2. Is it safe to mix different types of radioactive materials?

No, it is not safe to mix different types of radioactive materials. Each type of material has its own unique properties and can react differently when combined with another material. This can result in an uncontrolled release of radiation, which can be harmful to living organisms and the environment.

3. What would happen if I accidentally mixed radioactive materials with non-radioactive materials?

If radioactive materials are accidentally mixed with non-radioactive materials, the non-radioactive materials can become contaminated and potentially dangerous. This contamination can spread to other objects and surfaces, making it difficult to clean up and posing a risk to anyone who comes into contact with the contaminated materials.

4. Can mixing different types of radioactive materials create a nuclear reaction?

It is possible for mixing different types of radioactive materials to create a nuclear reaction. This is especially true if the materials are highly reactive and unstable. It is important to handle all radioactive materials with caution and follow proper safety protocols to prevent any accidental nuclear reactions.

5. Are there any safe ways to mix different types of radioactive materials?

No, there are no safe ways to mix different types of radioactive materials. It is important to handle each type of material separately and follow strict safety protocols. Mixing radioactive materials should only be done by trained professionals in a controlled environment to minimize the risk of radiation exposure and potential accidents.