What Went Wrong with My Integration by Parts?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving integrals, but made a mistake in the second step of the problem. They were able to correct the mistake and solve the problem correctly.
paperclip
Hello there. I feel like this isn't the right answer, but I'd like some verification as to where exactly I went wrong! 1. Homework Statement is [tex]\int_{0}^{pi}x^2cos x dx[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution went something like this:
[tex]u=x^2 dv=cos x dx
du=2x dx v=\int_{0}^{pi}cos x dx= sin x[/tex]

The integral was then:
[tex]\int_{0)^{pi}x^2cos x dx= x^2 sin x\right]_{0}^{pi}-\int_{0}^{pi}sin x 2x dx[/tex]

to solve:

[tex]=x^2 sin x + cos x x^2[/tex]
[tex]=pi^2 sin pi + cos 0 o^2[/tex]
[tex]9.87 times 0=1+0[/tex]
[tex]=1[/tex]

Thanks for all your help in advance! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
paperclip said:
Hello there. I feel like this isn't the right answer, but I'd like some verification as to where exactly I went wrong! 1. Homework Statement is [tex]\int_{0}^{pi}x^2cos x dx[/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution went something like this:
[tex]u=x^2 \hspace{5mm} dv=cos x dx \hspace{5mm}
du=2x dx \hspace{5mm} v=\int_{0}^{pi}cos x dx= sin x[/tex]

The integral was then:
[tex]\int_{0}^{pi}x^2cos x dx= \left[x^2 sin x\right]_{0}^{\pi}-\int_{0}^{\pi}sin x 2x dx[/tex]

to solve:

[tex]=x^2 sin x + cos x x^2[/tex]
[tex]=\pi^2 sin pi + cos 0 o^2[/tex]
[tex]9.87 \times 0=1+0[/tex]
[tex]=1[/tex]

Thanks for all your help in advance! :smile:

Ive just cleaned up your tex so I can check your work.

From here: [tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}x^2cos x dx= \left[x^2 sin x\right]_{0}^{\pi}-\int_{0}^{\pi}sin x 2x dx[/tex]

You need to apply integration by parts again to the second term on the RHS. I don't quite know what you've done in your original post.

You started just fine:

[tex]\int x^2 \cos x\,dx = x^2\sin x - \int \sin x\,2x\,dx[/tex]

You're problem is the second integration:

[tex]\int \sin x\,2x\,dx \ne -\cos x\,x^2[/tex]

Do I need to integrate by parts again?
[tex]\int \sin x\,2x,dx=2/int,x,sinx,dx[/tex]
so
[tex]= \left[x^2 sin x\right]_{0}^{\pi}-2\int_{0}^{\pi}xsin x dx[/tex]
is this right?

No :(

[tex]\int \sin x 2x dx[/tex].
u=sin x, dv = 2x dx
du=cos x dx, v=x^2

Subbing these straight into integration by parts it should be
[tex]\sin (x) \cdot x^2 - \int x^2 \cos x dx[/tex].

Hmm Isnt that interesting, your original integral appeared again, how could this help i wonder :P

Actually I did it wrong, you should be able to see why the way I did it doesn't help.

instead, in integration by parts, let u=2x and dv= sin x dx
that way, du= 2 dx, and v= -cos x, which gives us
[tex]-2x\cos x + 2\int \cos x dx[/tex].
The integral in that is just 2 sin x, so the solution to your original integral is easy from here.

Related to What Went Wrong with My Integration by Parts?

1. What is definite integration by parts?

Definite integration by parts is a mathematical method used to evaluate the integral of a product of two functions. It involves using the product rule of differentiation to rewrite the integrand in a different form, then applying the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve the integral.

2. When is definite integration by parts used?

Definite integration by parts is used when the integrand is a product of two functions that cannot be easily integrated using other methods, such as substitution or the power rule. It is also useful when the integrand contains logarithmic or trigonometric functions.

3. What is the formula for definite integration by parts?

The formula for definite integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the two functions being integrated and dv and du are their respective differentials.

4. How do you choose which function to use as u and which function to use as dv?

In definite integration by parts, the function u is typically chosen based on the acronym "LIATE," which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential functions. The function dv is then chosen as the remaining function in the integrand.

5. Can definite integration by parts be used for indefinite integrals?

Yes, definite integration by parts can also be used for indefinite integrals. In this case, the resulting integral will have a "+ C" term at the end, indicating that it is an indefinite integral rather than a definite one.