What Was the Initial Speed of the Freight Car?

In summary, the conversation involved a problem where a 5000-kg freight car was brought to rest by two coiled springs with spring constants of k1 = 1700 N/m and k2 = 3000 N/m. The springs acted according to Hooke's law and the car was initially traveling at an unknown speed. The car came to rest after first compressing the first spring by a distance of 28.5 cm, and then the second spring acted with the first to further compress the car until it came to rest 45.0 cm later. The correct approach involved using the work-kinetic energy theorem, but the force was not constant so the correct formula was work = ∫F.dx. The correct
Meagan

Homework Statement

A 5000-kg freight car rolls along rails with negligible friction. The car is brought to rest by a combination of two coiled springs as illustrated in the figure below. Both springs are described by Hooke's law and have spring constants with k1 = 1700 N/m and k2 = 3000 N/m. After the first spring compresses a distance of 28.5 cm, the second spring acts with the first to increase the force as additional compression occurs as shown in the graph. The car comes to rest 45.0 cm after first contacting the two-spring system. Find the car's initial speed

Homework Equations

I do not know.

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely wrong so please help!

Attachments

• physicshw.gif
    physicshw.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 587
Physics news on Phys.org
Meagan said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Completely wrong so please help!
Show your work anyway. Did you try using conservation of energy?

I tried using Fs=-kx, then adding all of the forces together to find the work with Ws=∑Fr, and then using the work-kinetic energy theorem, I was not exactly sure how to set this equation up correctly, however, to find the initial velocity.

Meagan said:
I tried using Fs=-kx, then adding all of the forces together to find the work, and then using the work-kinetic energy theorem to find the initial velocity.
It's a valid approach, but the force is not constant. You need to show your work so I can see where you go wrong.
Do it in two pieces; for the first 28 cm there is a certain force acting, and for the rest of the distance there is another force acting.

I was thinking there was technically three forces, the first spring by itself, the second spring, and then the first spring again but over a different distance. I did: F1=-1700 * 0.285m, F2=-3000*0.165m and then F3=-1700*0.165m. I left out the units for k to avoid confusing that anymore than necessary.

Using this approach I found the net work to be 567 J. I am not really sure how to transition from this information to the work-kinetic energy theorem. I tried W=1/2 (k1+k2)vf2-1/2 k1vi2 and solving for initial velocity.

because the Force is not constant, the Work is ½ Fmax xmax = ½ k s2 ... where s is the spring stretch (or compression)

Meagan said:
I was thinking there was technically three forces, the first spring by itself, the second spring, and then the first spring again but over a different distance. I did: F1=-1700 * 0.285m, F2=-3000*0.165m and then F3=-1700*0.165m. I left out the units for k to avoid confusing that anymore than necessary.
You have the right idea. Using 0.165*(k1+k2) is the same as breaking it into two pieces like you did 0.165*k1+0.165*k2

But 1700*0.285 and (3000+1700)*0.165 is only the force at those distances! The force varies with distance... The formula Work = Force * distance only applies to constant forces... The correct formula is work = ∫F.dx

lightgrav said:
because the Force is not constant, the Work is ½ Fmax xmax = ½ k s2 ... where s is the spring stretch (or compression)

And in this situation
Nathanael said:
You have the right idea. Using 0.165*(k1+k2) is the same as breaking it into two pieces like you did 0.165*k1+0.165*k2

But 1700*0.285 and (3000+1700)*0.165 is only the force at those distances! The force varies with distance... The formula Work = Force * distance only applies to constant forces... The correct formula is work = ∫F.dx
Ok. I will try again after my next class. Thank you for your help and sorry for my initial mess up not showing my work. This was my first post lol.

Nathanael said:

I do not understand how to use that formula in this situation. I only remember how to integrate when there is a function.

Meagan said:
I do not understand how to use that formula in this situation. I only remember how to integrate when there is a function.
The function is F=-k1x for the first 28.5 cm and F=-(k1+k2)x for the remaining distance.

In other words, the integral (for the work) is the area under the graph in post #1 from zero to 45 cm.

Well I got it wrong :cry:. That's ok though, I think I know what I did wrong! Thank you for all of your help!

Related to What Was the Initial Speed of the Freight Car?

1. What is the definition of initial speed?

Initial speed, also known as initial velocity, is the speed of an object at the beginning of its motion. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (numerical value) and direction.

2. How is initial speed different from average speed?

Initial speed is the speed at the start of an object's motion, while average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. Average speed does not take into account the direction of motion, while initial speed does.

3. How can you find the car's initial speed?

To find the car's initial speed, you need to know the distance it traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, you can use the formula initial speed = distance/time. This assumes that the car started from rest (initial velocity = 0).

4. What factors can affect the car's initial speed?

The car's initial speed can be affected by the amount of force applied to it, the mass of the car, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance. Additionally, the type of surface the car is moving on can also impact its initial speed.

5. Can initial speed be negative?

Yes, initial speed can be negative if the car is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if the positive direction is considered to be towards the east, a car moving towards the west would have a negative initial speed.