What version of the definition of derivative

In summary, there are two valid definitions for the derivative: lim h->0 (f(x+h)-f(x))/h and lim x->c (f(x)-f(c))/(x-c). Both are equivalent and can be used, but it is best to use the version your teacher has taught you.
Niaboc67
If my understanding is correct the definition of a derivative is lim h->0 (f(x+h)-f(x))/h However, I've also seen this used: lim x->c (f(x)-f(x))/(x-c) are these both considered valid definition for the derivative or does the derivative have to tend towards zero? I am a bit confused because I see these two versions alternating and wondering which one I should use and where. And my teacher is picky about definitions and notation so I don't know which one he would like to see on the exam.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
The second one should be lim x->c (f(x)-f(c))/(x-c), not the version you wrote.
Note that the first one defines the derivative at x, ie f'(x), while the second defines the derivative at c, ie f'(c).

Both are valid, since they are equivalent, via the substitutions x<-->c, h<-->x-c. I have seen the first more often than the second. I suggest you use whichever version your teacher taught you.

Related to What version of the definition of derivative

What is the definition of derivative?

The derivative of a function is defined as the rate of change of that function at a specific point. It represents how much the output of the function changes with respect to a change in the input value.

What is the difference between the geometric and algebraic definition of derivative?

The geometric definition of derivative involves finding the slope of a tangent line to a curve at a specific point, while the algebraic definition involves using the limit of the difference quotient to find the instantaneous rate of change.

What is the significance of the definition of derivative?

The definition of derivative is fundamental in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems related to rates of change and optimization. It also has applications in physics, economics, and other fields.

What are the different versions of the definition of derivative?

There are three main versions of the definition of derivative: the geometric, algebraic, and limit definition. Each version has its own benefits and applications, but they all ultimately represent the same concept.

How can the definition of derivative be applied in real life scenarios?

The definition of derivative can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the velocity of a moving object, determining the marginal cost in economics, and finding the instantaneous rate of change in business. It is also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve real-world problems.