What Values of p Make the Series Converge Absolutely?

In summary, the series sigma[k=1,inf] [(-1)^k/k^p] converges conditionally for p values between 0 and 1, as taking the absolute value of the series results in divergence for all other values of p. This can be determined by considering the absolute value of the original series and using the p-series test.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

The sereis sigma[k=1,inf] [(-1)^k/k^p] converges conditionally for
(a) p<1
(b) 0<p<=1
(c) p>1
(d) p=0
(e) None of the above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer key said that (b) was the correct answer and I'm having trouble understanding why

sigma[k=1,inf] |(-1)^k/k^p| = sigma[k=1,inf] |1/k^p|

I got rid of the (-1)^k because the absolute value function will always make it positive and k^p will always be positive for k=1 to infinity so I just got ride of the absolute sign all together

sigma[k=1,inf] 1/k^p

I thought determine which values of p makes this series converge I could determine what values of the original series allows the series to converge absolutely

sigma[k=1,inf] 1/k^p

Is a p-series which converge whenever p is greater one by the integral test

I don't see were I'm going wrong thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You missed the key words, "converges conditionally". When does it converge conditionally? What does that mean?

ohhhh... that means when you take the absolute function around the function that describes the series what values of p does it diverge in which case it's 0<p<=1, I thought it asked me what values does it converge absolutley by accident thanks

Related to What Values of p Make the Series Converge Absolutely?

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is the sum of an infinitely long sequence of numbers. It can be represented as a sum of terms, where each term is added to the previous one in a specific pattern.

2. What are the different types of infinite series?

There are three main types of infinite series: geometric series, telescoping series, and p-series. A geometric series has a common ratio between each term, a telescoping series involves terms that cancel each other out, and a p-series has terms that follow the pattern of 1/n^p.

3. How do you determine if an infinite series converges or diverges?

To determine if an infinite series converges or diverges, you can use various tests such as the integral test, ratio test, comparison test, or the root test. These tests help determine the behavior of the series as the number of terms increases.

4. What is the purpose of studying infinite series in Calculus II?

Infinite series are used in Calculus II to approximate functions and calculate areas under curves. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where continuous change is involved.

5. How does the concept of convergence and divergence relate to infinite series?

Convergence and divergence are terms used to describe the behavior of infinite series. A series that converges has a finite sum, meaning that the terms in the series eventually get smaller and smaller. Conversely, a divergent series has an infinite sum, meaning that the terms in the series do not approach a specific value.