What value of x do the graphs of f and g have parallel tangent lines?

In summary, the graphs of functions f and g have parallel tangent lines at x = -0.391. The method used to solve for this value involved finding the derivative of each function and setting them equal to each other. By plugging in the given answer choices for x, it was determined that c. -0.391 is the value that satisfies the condition of f'(x) = g'(x).
lude1

Homework Statement

Let f be the function given by f(x) = 3e^2x and let g be the function given by g(x) = 6x^3. At what value of x do the graphs of f and g have parallel tangent lines?

a. -0.701
b. -0.567
c. -0.391
d. -0.302
e. -0.258

Correct answer is c. -0.391

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, tangent line means doing the derivative. Thus, I did the derivative of f and g.

f'(x) = 6e^2x
g'(x) = 18x^2​

Parallel means the slopes or the derivatives are the same. Thus, I set them equal to each other in order to solve for x.

f'(x) = g'(x)
6e^2x = 18x^2
e^2x = 3x^2​

Here I was stuck. I could do ln(e^2x) to cancel out the e, but I would end up with something ugly on the right side.

2x = ln(3x^2)​

and I wouldn't have x on one side. Am I approaching this problem incorrectly, or is my algebra wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct. But to fully solve it you either need to graph it or use an iterative method. Instead, since you are given answers and you know that f'(x)=g'(x), why not just sub in the values for x and see which one produces the result f'(x) being the same as g'(x).

Related to What value of x do the graphs of f and g have parallel tangent lines?

1. What is the definition of parallel tangent lines?

The definition of parallel tangent lines is when two lines on a graph have the same slope and never intersect.

2. Can two different functions have parallel tangent lines?

Yes, two different functions can have parallel tangent lines if they have the same slope at a specific point on the graph.

3. How do you find the value of x for parallel tangent lines?

The value of x for parallel tangent lines can be found by setting the derivatives of the two functions equal to each other and solving for x.

4. Are parallel tangent lines always parallel?

Yes, parallel tangent lines are always parallel by definition.

5. Is it possible for a curve to have more than one point with parallel tangent lines?

Yes, it is possible for a curve to have multiple points with parallel tangent lines if the slope of the curve changes at those points, resulting in different tangent lines with the same slope.