What type of sampling is this?

In summary, the speaker collected samples on the street by asking passersby to fill out a questionnaire. They visited 5 different locations within the city and spent 3 hours each time, 3 times a week for one month. This can be considered as pseudo-random sampling, following the Poisson Distribution. There is a question of whether this method is sufficient to obtain a representative sample of the population. More information is needed to answer this.
alex_boothby
Hi, I hope you can help.

I collected my samples on the street by just asking passers by to fill in my questionnaire. I moved to 5 different locations within the city and spent 3 hours each visit 3 times a week for one month.

Is this random sampling? Or it it sill convenience sampling? Can anyone help me make it sound as good as possible! While i know this can never be representative, can argue that its more than convenience?

Cheers!
I also asked every 3rd passer by

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it can be considered as pseudo-random sampling. It signifies the Poisson Distribution. I came to this conclusion since you've specified fixed intervals of time for the task.

It is random sampling (I never heard of convenience sampling). The main question is you method sufficient to get a representative sample of the population you are trying to sample? there is not enough information in your statement to answer that.

Related to What type of sampling is this?

1. What is sampling?

Sampling is the process of selecting a representative group from a larger population for the purpose of making inferences or generalizations about the population.

2. What are the different types of sampling?

The most common types of sampling are random sampling, stratified sampling, systematic sampling, cluster sampling, and convenience sampling. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of sampling method depends on the research question and available resources.

3. What is random sampling?

Random sampling is a type of sampling where each member of the population has an equal chance of being selected for the sample. This method ensures that the sample is representative of the population and reduces bias.

4. What is convenience sampling?

Convenience sampling is a type of non-probability sampling where participants are chosen based on their availability and willingness to participate. This method is commonly used in exploratory research and can lead to biased results.

5. What is the difference between probability and non-probability sampling?

Probability sampling is a type of sampling where each member of the population has a known, non-zero chance of being selected for the sample. This method allows for accurate statistical inferences to be made about the population. Non-probability sampling, on the other hand, does not involve random selection and therefore cannot guarantee representativeness. It is commonly used in exploratory research or when it is difficult to obtain a random sample.