What type of motor for an electric scooter?

In summary, a battery-powered electric scooter would likely be best suited with a DC motor, and you could look to MAXON Motors for guidance on sizing.
A.Haba
What type of motor for an electric scooter!?

Im trying to build an electric scooter for my physics for engineers class.
I'm having trouble decidin on using AC or DC motors
it needs to be battery powered.
does anyone have advice?

Engineering news on Phys.org

A.Haba said:
Im trying to build an electric scooter for my physics for engineers class.
I'm having trouble decidin on using AC or DC motors
it needs to be battery powered.
does anyone have advice?

Batteries provide DC power so it would seem reasonable to select a DC motor to keep complexity and cost down.

CS

I agree, DC motor is probably the simplest option in this case. As for sizing it, download this application from MAXON motors, pretty cool:
http://www.maxonmotor.com/downloads.asp
You could probably buy and entire system from them, although it will cost you;) But at least you should get an idea of what size of motor and gearbox you need. For power go for lithium-ion batteries which have a very high energy density, so longest range for your scooter.
If you are good in power electronics, you can make a re-gen braking system to charge your batteries back up instead of wasting all your kinetic energy as heat;)

Agreed... DC is the way to go. You would waste a huge amount of energy if you ran your batteries through an inverter to get AC. I have a few 12VDC motors from wheelchairs that put out 1/2 HP. That should be plenty for a scooter, and remember that you can alter your gearing for max torque or speed.

There are a lot of motors out there. One for almost any application. Personal electric transportation gadgets tend to be limited by available storage capacity, not the motor.
Since your ability to take power with you wil define the range, and usefulness of the thing you should start your design pocess with the battery. When you've found the best battery you can get, then go looking for a motor that's stout enough to take you down the road.

Related to What type of motor for an electric scooter?

1. What is the best type of motor for an electric scooter?

The best type of motor for an electric scooter depends on your specific needs and preferences. However, some popular options include brushless DC motors, hub motors, and geared motors. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to do some research and consider factors such as speed, torque, and efficiency before making a decision.

2. How do brushless DC motors work in electric scooters?

Brushless DC motors use electronic commutation instead of mechanical brushes to switch the direction of current flow, making them more efficient and reliable than traditional brushed motors. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance. In electric scooters, brushless DC motors are often used in conjunction with a controller to regulate speed and power.

3. Are hub motors better than other types of motors for electric scooters?

Hub motors, also known as in-wheel motors, offer several advantages for electric scooters. They are compact and lightweight, making them ideal for smaller vehicles like scooters. They also provide direct drive, which means there is no need for a transmission or gears, reducing the risk of mechanical failure. However, they may not have as much torque as other motor types, so it is important to consider your specific needs before choosing a hub motor.

4. Can I upgrade the motor on my electric scooter?

It is possible to upgrade the motor on your electric scooter, but it can be a complex and expensive process. It is important to make sure that the new motor is compatible with your scooter's battery and controller. It may also require modifications to the frame and wiring. It is recommended to consult with a professional or do thorough research before attempting to upgrade your motor.

5. How do I maintain the motor on my electric scooter?

Regular maintenance of your electric scooter's motor is important to ensure its longevity and performance. This includes cleaning and lubricating the motor as needed, checking for any loose or damaged parts, and replacing worn out components. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance and to avoid overloading the motor, which can cause damage.