What to take after BS Chemistry?

In summary, the person is currently majoring in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, but has dropped the engineering course due to financial and teaching quality reasons. They plan on gaining experience after graduation before deciding on their next step. They are considering pursuing a Master's or PhD after completing their BS in Chemistry, and are wondering which courses to take for specializing in drugs or food. The conversation also touches on the person's interests in analytical and spectroscopy, their grades and technical abilities, and potential career options in the field of chemistry. The expert suggests focusing on courses related to analytical methods and polymers, and gaining skills in mass spectrometry and programming, as these areas are in high demand in the job market. They also mention the declining prospects in organic
xhera
Previously, I am taking Double Major: Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. I have 60 units before but removed the engineering course so now i have 20 units left. This is because of financial reasons and personally I think in my college, most of the professors in chem engineering department (about 5 are still good) are getting bad at teaching.

I plan on having experience after graduation until I've finally decided.

If I finished my BS Chem, what should I take for my MS or PhD?
Should I continue my Chem Eng?
What if I want to specialize in drugs, what courses should I take?If food route?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should do analytical methods and polymers. I am sure you especially will find that is exactly up your alley.

Avoid advanced topics in inorganic and quantum chemistry. Usually I would recommend them, but not in your case.

Also, I would take that course in advanced biochemical synthesis and NRM spectroscopy, as your university offers those and they are fun courses.

Likes xhera
Almeisan said:
You should do analytical methods and polymers. I am sure you especially will find that is exactly up your alley.

Avoid advanced topics in inorganic and quantum chemistry. Usually I would recommend them, but not in your case.

Also, I would take that course in advanced biochemical synthesis and NRM spectroscopy, as your university offers those and they are fun courses.

Hi almeisan, did you just probably read my mind? Yeah, I like stuffs regarding analytical and spectroscopy but not much on inorg or quantum. Though, I find them quiet interesting.
Whats there in polymers? I know the basics in polymer but not really that much familliar to it. Why should I take it if I'm going to specialize in food or drugs? Just curious :)

Yes, I did read your mind. Isn't that what you asked us to do? I didn't mean to intrude. I merely poked around looking for what I needed to give you some advice, honestly!

If you list all the courses you have to decide from, or better link to the study guide, I am sure someone can comment on that. But then again, unless there are a ton of courses, those relevant for foods and pharma should be obvious.

It does matter if you want to take a quality control approach or an R&D approach. You are right that polymers don't link in here a lot, though in some sense polymers, both natural and artificial, are everywhere. Sounds like you should take a course in advanced polymer stuff, but you knew that already, didn't you?

What is something new I can tell you? You said you quit chem eng, then you ask if you should go back.

Eng BSc or maybe MSc vs natural science PhD. How are your grades? How technical are you? How applied does a subject need to be? How OK are you that when you finished your 4 year job, the lab is exactly as it was when you started, except there is now a 12 page paper on your desk?
For R&D in pharma you likely need a PhD. For food and QC, a lower level degree is fine. If you are a going with a BSc in chemistry, how OK are you with doing repetitive stuff in the lab? Otherwise, consider engineering.

"like you shouldn't take"

it's totally fine, I was the one who asked anyway..

One of my past subjects before just went through a brief introduction and basics of polymer for BS Chem for a week. So generally, I never really paid attention that much but I'll look into that again.

I am more inclined to planning theoretically, looking for shortcuts/improvise, then proceed in doing field work (having experience by hands/doing it on my own) which is really fun and thrilling for me. Doing codes and a sort of programming is easy because it is one of my forte though I haven't honed it much since I've started studying in science field.
For grades, actually I'm not doing well in the chem engg subjects since I'm weak in math but on top of that, most of the professors in chem engg in my school aren't really good. You could say my chemistry grades are average. I don't mind repeating stuff in laboratory.

So generally, I'm more into doing stuff like collecting samples personally(field work) since I like to travel, programming/any computer-related works, & research in Chemistry. I've also taken interests in design which I enjoyed in Chem Eng'g.

If you have taken some intro and advance ChemE courses, finish your Chemistry degree and go to ChemE grad school, you may have some deficiencies, but the market would be good. ChemE funding is usually relatively easy to attain, so even if you have to go to a lower ranked program, go for a M.S or PhD. This is only from my knowledge with some discussion with a friend in a similar situation,

Analytical chemistry, bioanalytical, and mass spectrometry. People who know how to run UPLC/HPLC couple to MS or MS/MS or MS^X and know how to analyze the results are in demand. Organic synthesis has quite horrible employment prospects and is a dying field (pharma has been shipping jobs overseas for years and many new therapies aren't even small molecule based anymore). Proteomics, metabolomics, glycomics, and other -omics fields heavily utilize mass spec. Pick up programming skills along the way so you can perform the data analysis needed as well.

Even the drug route needs mass spectrometrists for things like metabolite ID and to be able to calculate important parameters for things like the half lives of drugs. Monoclonal antibodies are worth billions of dollars, and new mAB therapies will make patentable claims on their mABs based on the types of glycosylation that are found on their mABs. In order to ID those types of glycosylation, you need mass spec.

Gravenewworld, what is your opinion about the trends in biocatalysis/enzymes?

I see analytical methods all over the place. Either developing them, or just being an expert in a niche of some MS. I want to have some safe expertise on my CV once I finish my PhD, though I like to do research in something like biophysics or protein science.

Related to What to take after BS Chemistry?

What are the career options after getting a BS in Chemistry?

After completing a BS in Chemistry, you can pursue a career in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, research and development, quality control, chemical engineering, environmental science, and many more. You can also choose to continue your education and pursue a higher degree in Chemistry or a related field.

What skills do I need to have for a career in Chemistry?

To have a successful career in Chemistry, you should have a strong foundation in math and science, excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and in a team. You should also have good communication and critical thinking skills.

Is a master's degree necessary after a BS in Chemistry?

A master's degree in Chemistry is not necessary for all career paths, but it can open up more opportunities for you. It can also lead to higher-paying jobs and positions with more responsibility. Additionally, a master's degree can be beneficial if you want to pursue a career in research or academia.

What are some job titles for Chemistry graduates?

Some common job titles for Chemistry graduates include analytical chemist, research and development chemist, quality control chemist, chemical engineer, environmental scientist, and pharmaceutical scientist. Other possible job titles include laboratory technician, scientific writer, and science educator.

What can I do with a BS in Chemistry if I don't want to work in a lab?

If you don't want to work in a lab, there are still plenty of career options for you as a Chemistry graduate. You can work in sales or marketing for a chemical or pharmaceutical company, become a science writer or editor, work in patent law, or pursue a career in science policy or science education. You can also use your transferable skills to work in areas such as finance, consulting, or data analysis.