What to do after basic programming (Think Python)

In summary, the conversation was about the individual finishing an introductory book on programming using python and being a physics major in need of simulations and computational skills. They tried searching for intermediate python books but found nothing and asked for suggestions on how to proceed. One suggestion was to learn physics up to the point where they understand the need for simulations and computational skills. Other suggestions included taking courses or self-studying in numerical analysis and using resources such as books and websites like vpython.org, www.physics.orst.edu, and www.phy.uct.ac.za.
Headacheguy
I had finished Think Python, an introductory book on programming using python.

I'm a physics major. So I'd probably need simulations and computational skills. I tried searching Google for intermediate python books, found nothing.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Technology news on Phys.org
Learning physics seems like the obvious idea to me. At least up to the point where you get an idea what you need "simulations and computational skills" for.

I'd recommend taking courses or self study in numerical analysis.

Congratulations on completing Think Python! As a scientist, it is important to have strong programming skills in order to conduct simulations and analyze data. There are many resources available for intermediate level python programming, including online courses, books, and tutorials. Some suggestions for further learning and development in this area include:

1. Online courses: Platforms like Coursera, edX, and Udemy offer a wide range of courses on intermediate python programming, specifically tailored for scientists and researchers. These courses often cover topics such as data analysis, scientific computing, and simulation techniques.

2. Books: There are many books available on intermediate python programming for scientists, such as "Python for Data Analysis" by Wes McKinney and "Scientific Computing with Python" by Claus Führer, Jan Erik Solem, and Olivier Verdier. These books provide a deep dive into the use of python for scientific applications.

3. Tutorials and online resources: Websites like Real Python and DataCamp offer tutorials and resources specifically for scientists and researchers looking to improve their python skills. These resources often include hands-on exercises and real-world examples.

In addition to these resources, it may also be helpful to connect with other scientists and researchers who have experience in using python for simulations and data analysis. They may be able to provide guidance and share their own experiences and techniques. Overall, keep practicing and exploring different applications of python in your field to continue building your skills and knowledge. Best of luck in your programming journey!

Related to What to do after basic programming (Think Python)

1. What are the next steps after learning basic programming with Think Python?

After learning basic programming with Think Python, the next steps could include gaining more experience by working on personal projects, learning new programming languages, attending coding bootcamps or workshops, and practicing problem-solving skills through coding challenges.

2. How can I apply my basic programming skills in real-world scenarios?

You can apply your basic programming skills in real-world scenarios by finding internships or entry-level jobs in software development, web development, data analysis, or other related fields. You can also contribute to open-source projects or participate in hackathons to gain practical experience.

3. What resources are available for further learning?

There are many resources available for further learning, such as online courses, coding bootcamps, programming books and tutorials, coding communities, and coding meetups. You can also find mentorship opportunities or join coding clubs to continue improving your skills.

4. How can I prepare for a career in programming?

To prepare for a career in programming, you can start by building a strong foundation in basic programming concepts and languages. It is also beneficial to gain experience by working on personal projects, participating in coding challenges, and networking with other programmers. Additionally, you can consider obtaining certifications or completing a degree program in computer science or a related field.

5. What are some common challenges after learning basic programming?

Some common challenges after learning basic programming include understanding more complex concepts and syntax, debugging errors, and staying updated with new technologies and programming languages. It is important to continue practicing and seeking help from experienced programmers to overcome these challenges.