What the heck does a line integral mean?

In summary, a line integral with respect to x (or y) is a way of calculating the sum of infinitely small scalar products between a vector field \vec{F}(x,y,z) and the infinitesimal segments of a curve C, where C is a path in the vector field and the vector field is defined as a function of three variables. This can be written as \int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}, where the distance between the points on the curve is taken to be infinitely small. In the context of a surface integral, a line integral over a closed path can be used to calculate the surface area of a cylinder.
karen03grae
Okay, I've searched PF. I actually found a thread that confirmed some of my assumptions. I've searched the web. But I still want to know what the geometric interpretation of a line integral with respect to x (or y) is. The example that made me want to know was [tex] \int y^2 dx + x dy [/tex]; It was integrated over the curve which is actually a line segment that goes from (-5,-3) to (0,2). I got the answer -5/6 by converting both variables into one and using the Jacobian. What bothers me is I don't know what that -5/6 means! It has to mean something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Preliminary note: A vector field [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)[/itex] is a function that associates a vector to every point in space. Exemple: [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)=x\vec{i}+cosy\vec{j}+e^{xyz}\vec{k}[/itex]

Geometrically, the line integral means...

Imagine a vector field [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)[/itex], and draw a path C in it. Now put an arbitrary number of points on your curve. Label them 0, 1, 2, 3, ... and draw a vector going from 0 to 1, then another going from 1 to 2, then another going from 2 to 3, etc. Call those [itex]\Delta \vec{r_0}[/itex], [itex]\Delta \vec{r_1}[/itex], [itex]\Delta \vec{r_2}[/itex], etc. respectively Then compute the scalar product between the value of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] at point 0 and the vector [itex]\Delta \vec{r_0}[/itex], the sclalar product between the value of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] at point 1 and the vector [itex]\Delta \vec{r_1}[/itex], etc and add all those numbers together. The value of the line integral of [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)[/itex] over the path C, noted

[tex]\int_C \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}[/tex]

is the sum you've just computed, only with the distance between the points 0,1,2,3, etc. taken to be infinitely small, and thus with and infinity of points on the curve C. It can be noted

[tex]\lim_{max||\Delta \vec{r}|| \rightarrow 0} \sum_{i=0}^{n}\vec{F}(\vec{r}_i)\cdot \Delta \vec{r}_i[/tex]

A line integral is just an integral over a curve. It should be called a "curve integral". Imagine a function of two variables, say [itex] f(x,y)=x^2+y^2[/itex] over the x-y plane in the first quadrant and some f(x) in that plane, say a parabola [itex] x^2[/itex]. Draw a "curved" surface from the parabola up to f(x,y). The area of that surface between two points on the parabola is the line integral of f(x,y) along the line, curve, whatever, of [itex] x^2 [/itex] between the points a and b. Like:

[tex] \int _{x^2} (x^2+y^2)ds [/tex]

Note I didn't put the little circle on the integral sign. If the curve I was integrating over was a "closed path" like a circle or whatever, then the circle would indicate "line integral over a closed path".

Now I have a question for you. What is a "surface integral"? Same dif right, just add another dimension.

Continue thinking of adding up rectangles. [itex]y^2 \, dx[/itex] means to add up rectangles whose heights are [itex]y^2[/itex] and whose bases are infinitessimal segments parallel to the x axis.

Likes meteo student
How about this one:

Using the description above I gave for the line integral, suppose we have a function of two variables that's just a sheet above the x-y plane, you know, f(x,y)=5 say. Now I want to take the line integral of this function around the closed path of the circle [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex]. That is:

[tex]\oint_{x^2+y^2=1} 5ds[/tex]

Now, from what I said, you don't even need to calculate this. It's just [itex] 10\pi[/tex] right, the area of a cylinder of unit radius and length 5. Now, can you calculate the line integral and verify this?

Think I better verify this for myself. Pretty sure though . . . now where did I put Swokowski . . .

Ok, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Yes, I verified that the surface area of your cylinder is 10pi via line integrals.

Thanks guys! I stopped panicking after I figured out that the example I posted had to be related to a vector field. I understood how the cooresponding components of the vector field had to be multiplied by dx, dy, and dz in order to integrate properly. But I was confused when they tried to make us integrate a line integral w.r.t x or y before they introduced the integration over a vector field! I just couldn't see the purpose. Now I do.

Related to What the heck does a line integral mean?

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in multivariable calculus that calculates the total value of a function along a specific path or curve in space. It is used to find the work done or the amount of a specific quantity along a path, such as the amount of force exerted on an object moving along a specific path.

2. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve in a two-dimensional plane, while a line integral calculates the value of a function along a path in three-dimensional space. It takes into account not only the value of the function, but also the direction and length of the path.

3. What are the applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, including calculating work done by a force, determining the amount of energy transferred along a path, and finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object.

4. How is a line integral calculated?

To calculate a line integral, the path must first be parameterized (represented by a set of equations). Then, the function being integrated is multiplied by the derivative of the path equations and integrated with respect to the parameter. The result is a single value representing the total value of the function along the path.

5. What prerequisites are needed to understand line integrals?

A strong understanding of multivariable calculus, including partial derivatives, vector calculus, and the concept of limits, is necessary to understand line integrals. Familiarity with parametric equations and vector operations is also helpful.