What statement about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is correct?

In summary: So, in summary, the statement that is correct about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is that they can change the direction of motion and accelerate a charge, but cannot do work or change kinetic energy without the help of an electric field.
Sgtsloth
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
What statement about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is correct?
A) Magnetic fields can’t change the direction of motion of a moving charge.
B) Magnetic fields can do work on a moving charge.
C) Magnetic fields can accelerate a moving charge.
D) The force on a moving charge in a magnetic field can be in the direction of the magnetic field.
E) Magnetic fields can increase or decrease the kinetic energy of a moving charge.

I know B) isn't correct, since the angle leads to any work being zero., although others I have read online says that it can do work so I don't know what to think.

C) I don't think this can be true, since if you can't do work how can you cause acceleration?

D) is false for sure based on the right hand rule

E) Can KE change without work

Physics news on Phys.org
For (C) consider the case of circular motion. Is work being done? Is there acceleration involved?

gneill said:
For (C) consider the case of circular motion. Is work being done? Is there acceleration involved?

I known that a varying magnetic field causes a an electric field that can do work, is that what you mean?

Sgtsloth said:
I known that a varying magnetic field causes a an electric field that can do work, is that what you mean?
No. I'm saying that you should consider the example of circular motion: an object moving in a circle at a constant speed. Is there acceleration involved?

gneill said:
No. I'm saying that you should consider the example of circular motion: an object moving in a circle at a constant speed. Is there acceleration involved?

Constant speed means there is no acceleration, thus C) is false. Am I correct that B is also wrong?

gneill said:
So you have to reply? PLEASE HELP, I have a test in an hour and to me all these answers seem false.

Sgtsloth said:
Constant speed means there is no acceleration, thus C) is false.
No, that's incorrect. Is acceleration defined as a rate of change in speed or a rate of change change in velocity? Is velocity constant for circular motion?
Am I correct that B is also wrong?
Yes.

Sgtsloth said:
So you have to reply? PLEASE HELP, I have a test in an hour and to me all these answers seem false.
Sorry, but to be frank, my schedule is split between volunteer work here and other unrelated matters. All helpers are volunteers. We do what we can.

gneill said:
No, that's incorrect. Is acceleration defined as a rate of change in speed or a rate of change change in velocity? Is velocity constant for circular motion?

Yes.

Thank you

Okay so Velocity changes direction in circular motion.

Let me go through my thinking.

(A) Mag fields CAN change direction, look at the mass spectrometer for example.
(B) We established is incorrect
C) The one in question.
D) Should be false based on the the right hand rule,
E) If no work can be done by a mag field (B), then it shouldn't be able to change a charge's KE.

Am I missing anything?

Looks like you've covered it.

Related to What statement about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is correct?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by the movement of electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force.

2. How do magnetic fields interact with moving charges?

Magnetic fields exert a force on moving charges, causing them to experience a deflecting force perpendicular to the direction of their movement. This is known as the Lorentz force.

3. Can a magnetic field affect the speed of a moving charge?

Yes, a magnetic field can change the speed of a moving charge by exerting a force on it. This force can either increase or decrease the speed of the charge, depending on the direction of the magnetic field and the charge's velocity.

4. What statement about magnetic fields interacting with a moving charge is correct?

The correct statement is that a magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charge, causing it to experience a deflecting force perpendicular to its direction of motion.

5. How can the direction of the force exerted by a magnetic field on a moving charge be determined?

The direction of the force can be determined by applying the right-hand rule, which states that if the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the charge's velocity, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm points in the direction of the force.